Help

The VENT

Inconsiderate of Others

>

all41

Inconsiderate of Others
Old 11-15-2021, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had a staff meeting at 8:00 AM this morning. Principal sent out an email last week reminding of the meeting date, time and location. We have a staff of 6 teachers. There are 2 on our staff who are consistently late to our meetings. I'm not talking 2 minutes late, it's more like 10 min late. At 8;00 this morning the principal announced over the speaker system that the meeting was starting, 4 of us were already in the meeting room waiting, 2 of us hadn't even arrived at school yet. At 8:05 1 of them walkes in joking about being late. At 8:10 the principal walks out to go get the other missing teacher. Our meeting finally started at 8:13, students are released to classrooms at 8:20. I am so sick of these entitled people wasting our (my) time. I could have gotten so much done in that 15 minutes while we waited for them to show up. I am even more frustrated with the principal who continues to allow this to happen, jokes about it even.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-15-2021, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It gets really annoying when that happens! Every meeting I go to seems to be that way, too. Our P has been much better about that over the last couple of years. I think she actually heard the complaints from people and took it to heart. Time is important, and those people who show up on time should be given the courtesy of starting on time. We want our kids ready on time, we should be, too.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 11-16-2021, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Time is so precious and to wait on people who are consistently late to meetings would irritate me, too. Has anyone spoken up and addressed this with the principal? He should start on time so the rest of you can go and he can hold the latecomers over. To combat the irritableness waiting can cause, I would take some work to do so I’m not just sitting and wasting time.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-16-2021, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Unrelated, but I can't believe there is a school with only 6 teachers! That's crazy! Anyway, I think the 4 of you who are on time should talk to the P about starting on time. Say you would like to establish meeting norms. Start/end on time is pretty common. If he keeps starting late the latecomers have no incentive to be there on time.

I also always bring my laptop to any meeting/PD, whatever. If there is downtime or I'm waiting for it to start, I'm getting something done. I would definitely start doing that if I were you! That way you're not just wasting time waiting.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 11-16-2021, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Anyone can miss a meeting start time on a rare occasion, but when it becomes chronic (“consistently”) it should fall in the lap of the person charged with meeting implementation, i.e., the principal. Teachers, like students, adjust their behavior to whatever is allowed. If the principal allows teachers to show up late then majority blame should be pointed at a lack of leadership. Irony says these are the same teachers who go back to their classrooms and jump all over students for entering class late and turning in late assignments.

Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-17-2021, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'd be tempted to be late for all the meetings now by 10 minutes and keep working in my room The unwritten rule is that meetings begin at 8:13.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-18-2021, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm with Violets2. I'd be like, huh, I thought that's just what we were doing.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 11-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wish I had the ba!!s to do that! Actually, per past precedent, the meetings don't start until the principal comes to the classroom to get you because you can't even be responsible enough to come with an all school intercom announcement.

Fenwick is onto something. When we have outside speakers or trainers these people are on time, and dare I say early. But when it's just a regular run of the mill staff meeting they can't be bothered. So, its not that they can't, they won't, because they have never had to.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-18-2021, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Honestly, if it were me, I would leave the meeting after 10 minutes. Tell them you thought it must be cancelled, since people weren't showing up! What's that rule for college? If the professor is 15 minutes late, then class is cancelled!

Although in all seriousness, I would say something to the principal. It's beyond rude and disrespectful to be consistently so late. We had a staff member who did that and we just started the meetings without her. If she missed information then oh that was on her.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 11-22-2021, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

if I show up for an 8:00 meeting that has to end before 8:20, I wouldn't be waiting longer than 8:03 before I assume that the meeting isn't happening and then carry my happy self to my classroom.

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Principal shouldn’t accept this…
Old 11-23-2021, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The principal should start the meeting on time. If they miss something important, it’s on them. They also should have this chronic lateness addressed in their evaluations.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

WoolieBear

agree
Old 11-23-2021, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree; the principal should not laugh about this; it is very inconsiderate to arrive late for meetings.
WoolieBear is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 11-25-2021, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That's so rude. I had a P who was insistent about starting meetings on time, and it was awesome. If someone came in late she would stop talking and wait for them to find their seat, sometimes with the teacher stare. Didn't take long for everyone to be on time! 😄
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Staff meetings
Old 11-26-2021, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I agree. Teachers should be punctual and the morning time before class is so valuable. I also would bring something to work on although it’s not the same as finishing up something in your classroom.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote