Help

ARCHIVE

difficult principal

>

kample

difficult principal
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Some people in my building are being bullied by the principal, and the union is virtually nonexistent. Any ideas how to deal with this?

kample is offline   Reply With Quote

tbell0407

Principal's boss
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Fortunately, I teach in a district that has a really strong union. I'm sorry that is happening. Every person has someone he/she has to answer to. Who is your principal's boss? Is there a way to contact that person and let them know what is going on? It could be a tricky thing to do and you run the risk of the boss telling the principal. That's the only thing I can think of though.
tbell0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 04-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not sure the type of union you have but he we have a uniserve coordinator who deals with issues for several districts. If you aren't getting satisfaction from your local union go higher than the building or district reps. We pay dues and deserve certain services from the union.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

solidnsb

Bullying Principal
Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kample, I too, have a principal that bullies most of the staff. The sad part is this has been going on for 25 years and some members of the school board and administration are aware that this is happening, yet nothing has been done about it. Some staff members have confronted the principal about how the staff is treated, yet, again, nothing changes. I have heard from other staff members that the way they are treated is causing health problems, (depression, high blood pressure, etc). In fact, just last week, a colleague mentioned that the way she deals with it is the principal is not her boss, God is! Other colleagues deal with it by not talking to the principal unless they absolutely have to speak with her. I wish you the best and I hope the bullying ceases. Good luck!
solidnsb is offline   Reply With Quote

biyubelle

Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you belong to a local, you also belong to the state and national organizations. I would keep going up and up and up until I got some satisfaction for my monthly dues.

It is extremely difficult for a teacher to deal with a bullying principal. I will admit to doing something that I would not recommend anyone else doing: I bully right back. In other words, I stand up for myself. I am older and have years of experience and I am tenured. Most importantly I belong to a strong union.

I will of course accept guidance, direction, supervision that falls in line with what a principal should be doing. Beyond that I can be a real b!#ch. At one faculty meeting our principal was on a tear and lashing out about something and blaming us for doing something we had not done. It was so funny ... it was like the commercial with the tennis match... as a unit, before I even made an attempt to open my mouth, the entire faculty turned to face me. They didn't even realize that they had done it. (I simply told the principal I would enjoy having a private discussion with him at his earliest convenience.)

Other than standing up for yourself and possibly facing consequences, I cannot offer advice.

Good luck, Kample.

Last edited by biyubelle; 04-21-2008 at 03:14 AM..
biyubelle is offline   Reply With Quote

mshelbyk

Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What about going to human resources...Bullying in the work place is a big legal issue. You might be able to get some action by going to them.
mshelbyk is offline   Reply With Quote

biyubelle

Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Kample,

Human resources is a good idea (So is the union). Whatever proactive action you decide to take, you have to have documentation. Dates, times, exactly what occurred. You have got to get the people who are being bullied to take the lead in this action. You cannot file a complaint on behalf of anyone but yourself. Be very careful about representing other people's issues. You many hear the echo of the saw (as they saw the limb off behind you.)
biyubelle is offline   Reply With Quote