Help

BusyBoard

Average Catholic school salary in SC

>

Munchkins

Average Catholic school salary in SC
Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was offered a job teaching at a Catholic school is Columbus SC. About how much is the average teacherís salary at a Catholic school there?

I want to try it for a year, keeping our house in NJ while renting in SC. Weíve never lived anywhere besides the NE, so we donít want to give up our house unless weíre sure we want to relocate. (Itís paid off.)

TIA!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Wow!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow! Good for you! Is it with your former p? I don't know about the salary in SC. I know in my area, Catholic School salaries vary a great deal. It often depends on the size because obviously that influences the money coming in. I'm in my 8th year and making 33,000. However, if I were at another system about 15 miles north, I'd be making 40,000+. Our cost of living is very reasonable, too, so I would bet it would depend on the cost of living in that area, too, as well as the size of the school. Some Catholic schools do have salary scales, some do not. Some will also negotiate (even some with salary scales).

I will tell you that I feel like my work load has decreased so much that it was well worth my salary cut that I had in public schools. I have much more prep time, not only more frequently, but more time in general. I also have fewer kids, so that equals less correcting. Administration is very good about making sure we know that family comes before the job. If we don't get some things done, they are super understanding. In fact, at my first in-service for new hires in the diocese, the diocesan superintendent told us that weekends are for families and for us, not for work, so to please leave work at school on the weekends and not do it, that it will get done eventually.

Good luck with your decision! Would you be closer to your son in DC than you are now?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 02-15-2019, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hopefully someone will come in who is from that state. I live in California and earned $10,000 less than public school teachers. I have a master's degree and am certified to teach. When I looked up the public school pay scale, a first year teacher with only a B.A. earned more than I did.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In Oklahoma the pay is 10-15% less with no benefits.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since Iíll have my pension and benefits, I really donít need much to make it worth my while! I want to be able to cover our rent and expenses of living in SC while we keep our (paid off) house in NJ.

Thinking of it as a one year working vacation makes it less scary. We can carry our NJ home since Iíll be working in SC.

I hope it happens!!!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote