Help

BusyBoard

Nosy and curious question

>

blueskies96

Nosy and curious question
Old 02-15-2019, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know this is none of my business but my old friend from high school has a new teaching job and she does all project based learning. She teaches an elective subject in a district that can afford that sort of thing. Iíve had to distance myself from her because after she became a teacher she suddenly became an EXPERT.

Anyway I was nosy and read her syllabus online and was surprised to see this: ďDo not ask me ANY questions unless you have used google first or I will not answer you.Ē Iím serious. Itís not a technology class. I just donít know how any teacher can say they refuse questions from students unless itís for maybe one class session, not the whole year. I canít be there for her anymore because of course she knows everything but tell me is this not a bit strange?

blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-15-2019, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I guess I can see it for a self guided explorative class, more like a Genius Hour type thing.

Kids today either ask no questions because they "know it all" or they ask the dumbest questions because they either haven't listened, haven't thought it out, or haven't tried anything. I can see doing that in high school for an elective, if it is the right kind of class.

I only wish I could do it sometimes.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 02-15-2019, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Lol true. I quite often told my third graders to look up words because I wasn’t their speller-robot. Maybe this is the same thing. I’d probably not put it out there for parents to see though they don’t realize how kids are in packs lol

Also I am too ingrained in old fashioned teaching I guess where I think kids sometimes ask questions because they want interaction they don’t get much at home.

rusty

Old 02-15-2019, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yikes....She's not an expert....she's a jerk! You're wise to distance yourself as you obviously have very different "styles." I wonder what parents think of her no questions policy.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 02-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It very well may be an enrichment class.

amiga13

Old 02-15-2019, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I can understand what you think, but I also think itís pretty smart advice for a tech class. So many kids donít want to know how to do something, they want the teacher to do it for them.

When I asked DD tech questions, she would frequently ask if Iíd googled it. I was annoyed at first, but she did me a big favor. Googling often leads me to a great explanation and simple solution. Now I only ask her if Iím still stuck after googling.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

Google it
Old 02-15-2019, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Don't give up on your old friend yet.

Quote:
I can understand what you think, but I also think itís pretty smart advice for a tech class.
It is not a tech class, but I do agree with amiga13.

In project-based learning the students become life-long learners as they have to figure out how to solve problems on their own and with their team. The teacher becomes the last resort. Instead of the "sage on the stage" the teacher is more of a moderator in a dynamic classroom environment, steering students to explore real-world problems and challenges. Students are forced to do more themselves instead of sitting passively at a desk.

IMHO the wording in the syllabus could have been better. Instead of saying "do not ask ANY questions" which sounds very harsh and would have intimidated a student like me, she could have explained that there are other ways of finding answers to questions. For some students it is easy to launch into full online research mode, but other students may have had teachers who fed them everything.

In the first few weeks I think the teacher should let students understand that it is OK not to know something, and then show all the different ways they could get to the answer without having to rely on the teacher. Scaffolding, as Vygotsky's theory taught us.

Self-reliance and learning to look things up yourself are a great skills to learn, as are communicating with others and learning from each other.

I hope the teacher doesn't just rely on Google. There are a dozen or more search engines, and the public library is also a wonderful resource.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I tell my students to try three ways to find an answer before asking me.

Her wording was a bit harsh, though.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 02-15-2019, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Maybe it keeps her from Google searching it herself! Just kidding.
happygirl444 is online now   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It is not a tech class itís art

blueskies96

Old 02-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I guess the tone of the ďruleĒ was what surprised me. Not the concept. I agree about try three ways... that sounds nicer. I just believe teachers ought to model kindness and warmth and the whole syllabus reads like that like she was really angry when she wrote it. I couldnít have sent out anything like that or Iíd have been ostracized.

I totally agree that the students need to learn to not just ask instead of finding info themselves. Iím just a little concerned but Iíve learned to NOT say anything. I havenít given up on her but I can only keep a Facebook relationship now because sheís harsh with me as well but doesnít see it.

MissAgnes

Depends.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If it's a high school level class, I can see it. I'm a pretty straightforward person, even with my students. I tell my students all the time that if they do not raise their hand to ask a question, I will ignore them. So, while I wouldn't word it that way with my current students (4th grade), with teenagers, I couldn't definitely see myself saying that.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Ok I was just curious. I see it was moved to busyboard sorry I didnít know what the busyboard even was...

Haley23

Old 02-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm assuming that since you mentioned a syllabus this is high school. I don't think it's inappropriate for that age group. I agree the tone could be nicer, but I don't think it's a bad concept for older students.

Amiga, I wish my parents would catch on like you! I am constantly saying, "When in doubt, google" but they just think I'm being annoying . Their first strategy is to try to call someone (like the company that made the product they have a question about) or go somewhere to ask, and those resources are just often not available anymore.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 02-16-2019, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I really appreciate the responses. Yes itís high school. I guess after teaching primary grades so long I have a hard time understanding. I used to get in trouble for anything I sent out that was even remotely ďbossyĒ.