Help

BusyBoard

Article a Day ReadWorks

>

Teacherbee_4

Article a Day ReadWorks
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think I am going to start Article a Day from ReadWorks. Has anyone tried it with their class? Any tips, advice, success stories, or feedback you want to share?

After my whole group reading lesson, I pull guided reading groups. While I pull guided reading groups, I have my students read their independent reading book and write about their independent reading. Sometimes, I let them rotate devices and do a reading activity on the device. Other times I let them work on a spelling or vocabulary activity, too. I was thinking article of the day could be the first thing they do, before they do another activity. They'd read the article and record some things in their book of knowledge. Then, towards the end of reading, when I am done with my groups, we'd discuss the article, they'd share their book of knowledge, and we'd work on making a class book of knowledge. Does that sound like it would work? Or should I do it at a different time of the day?

A couple other questions:

-Do you grade their book of knowledge? We give letter grades and so I was thinking of collecting their book of knowledge each week and giving a score based on completion and accuracy/comprehension. Anyone else grade them and want to explain how they grade them?

-Do you have absent students make up the articles they missed when they were absent?

-Is the book of knowledge and class discussion the only thing you do assess comprehension with it? Do you give any quizzes on the article?

-I'm thinking I can fit it in 5 days a week if I do it as part of my reading block. If some reason I can't and need to find another time, is 3 days a week okay?

Any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks of the trade, feedback, etc. would be great!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love them, but just canít fit them in. Sometimes I do them whole group, sometimes as partner in a center and sometimes on their own.

We created a rubric for Book of Knowledge as a class so they would know how theyíd be graded. Thatís all I do. I donít need to make more work for myself.

I never seem to get to them all, even with the best of intentions.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 02-19-2019, 02:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Greyhound is right: Article a Day is time consuming and can be tricky to fit into the day. My students enjoyed it. I started midyear, so composition books were expensive to buy. Rather than make a book of knowledge, I just made a worksheet where they could make notes--one WS for each unit. I didn't grade them.

Also FYI, I found some of the Article-a-Day packets less useful. I haven't used them for a while, but it seems to me that the Lexile varied quite a bit, or some of the articles were really old, or something like that. Also, I didn't have computer access, and the articles have so many photos that they were expensive to photocopy. So, sometimes I would print and then, um, chop up and reprint the text to eliminate the photos; that way I could copy front-to-back and save paper. (Save the articles for next year!) I also made my own Article-a-Day units by assembling related ReadWorks articles into a logical unit.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just assign mine to Google Classroom so it's easy peasy.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

This is my main gripe
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I found some of the Article-a-Day packets less useful. I haven't used them for a while, but it seems to me that the Lexile varied quite a bit, or some of the articles were really old, or something like that.
In addition, they do not have the question sets like the individual passages do. from about 2nd grade up, regular passages have 10 question-some MC, some short answer and usually 1-2 deeper questions involving several sentences. The Book of Knowledge helps some (I print off the picture one as well as the writing one) but it isn't as helpful in evaluating independent comprehension.

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 02-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah, I agree about no question sets. (Although our school isn't slavish about that kind of stuff anyway.) I decided to approach Article-a-Day as more about building prior knowledge and sparking interesting discussions and connections. If you built your own units out of the regular individual articles, you would have question sets.

Greyhound, yes to Google Classroom. At the school where I used Article-a-Day, I had two classroom computers that were 8 years old and no Google Classroom. Anything online was a pain in the neck. Hence the photocopying.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks...
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks, everyone. I did start it today and I modeled things, so it took a little longer than I though because I very clearly modeled what I wanted. I can see it speeding up more as they kids get used to it. I agree with the no question sets, I like that about the roadworks articles, but I think this will work, too. I'm curious at least! It was good to see some of my lower readers and some of my more quiet ones participating today when they shared what they wrote down! We'll see how it works.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote