Help

BusyBoard

Moving Teachers Around

>

SusanTeach

Moving Teachers Around
Old 02-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have you had a principal who decides to move teachers around after they've been there a while and have no bad evaluations?

I was told (by the P) there will be some movement because she's not happy with some of the teachers' test scores. I LOVE where I am, and I feel like it's wrong to move a veteran teacher because another teacher isn't working out. Shouldn't they just put those teachers on plans of improvement rather than disrupting everyone else?

I know it's "all about the students" (which is untrue here - it's all about the test scores at my school ), but I'm sad.

I can't decide if I should talk to the P or not. I was blind-sided when she told me I may have to move grade levels, so I was too shocked to say much.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 02-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My P moves people all the time.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-17-2019, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some principals move teachers around as a power play.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

moving
Old 02-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In theory, I understand why they may move some teachers around. Some teachers really do need a fresh approach, he/she may not be suited to a particular grade level/age group (we had a K teacher who should never have been with little ones!), the numbers change, etc.

But could you just say that you feel you are in the ideal place and would be disturbed to move??
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Yes, and it happened to me 2 different yrs
Old 02-17-2019, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

at different schools. The first P explained what was going on and asked me to move up a level....It was open to discussion w/ her, but I knew it was what she wanted. So I agreed because my TTP would move with me and we were really close friends and I liked that P a lot.
The 2nd time, at a diff school, the P was really cool about it! The 1st yr he asked, I told him I did not want to because my workload was already too extreme.
The next yr, he showed me a paper of the kids ( many with sue happy, belligerent parents who had made previous teachers before me cry almost daily ! Even made 1 teacher quit! The stress from those parents would have put me over the edge. I was more than happy to switch that yr...lol
But then later w/ another P, he did switch people for power plays. I laid as low as possible and somehow avoided a switch during those yrs.
Yeah, it is not fair when you are picking up someone else's slack or it is just about poor test scores. I figured on my 1st move, the other teacher had a lot of young kids and was doing the best she could. Plus, test scores do not show everything.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my biggest fear right now. We have a new p. I don't know what she is going to do. I've spent 20 years at my grade level. I have NO interest in changing. I'm expert where I am. Moving me wouldn't make sense.
I hope you get to stay put!
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

annon4this

Moving
Old 02-17-2019, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My principal moves teachers all the time. I was moved from 4th to 2nd because of low test scores. Then in early November I was moved back to 4th because the new teacher couldnít handle teaching both reading and writing. She had been moved up from 1st to 4th. Sometimes principals have no common sense.
annon4this is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

yes
Old 02-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Unfortunately this happens more often than not. When it happened to me last year the principal ultimately changed her mind and moved teachers back to their present levels after the deadline for transfers had past. Truly they do this because they can.

My personal opinion is if you want to deflate moral and squelch motivation at your site then move a bunch of staff around involuntarily or without any notice. Shaking things up can backfire especially if you haven't developed relationships and trust among the staff.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-17-2019, 11:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That's horrifying. My P has never made a teacher change grades. It has to be initiated by the teachers. He accommodates that whenever he can, but he would never move someone against his/her will.

Susanteach, I am so sorry.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 02-18-2019, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This happens at my school each year because of changing enrollment at grade levels. Some years, four teachers are needed at a grade level, but the next year only three are needed. It is not fun especially when the same teachers are moved repeatedly.

noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Power play
Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I understand when it is needed because of enrollment #'s etc. but with my previous P it was simply a power play.

I was an extremely effective 3rd grade teacher, majority of parents loved me, students loved me and I had good improvement from my students. I had been in 3rd grade for MANY years.

She moved me to 5th grade even though the school wasn't collapsing any classes. There was no reason to move me. Not only that, she moved me to 5th with *2* BRAND NEW teachers, I had never taught 5th grade either. (this is the 1st time I ended up needing Chemo so I ended up not doing it, but the next year I was still stuck in 5th)

She also moved the most loved teacher from K to TK, she also made her move classrooms LITERALLY next door all of which there was NO reason for.

She was a total _____.

So depending on the P it can simply be a power play.
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 02-18-2019, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for all your thoughts and experiences! I'm so nervous, but I'm also not feeling like it's the right time to have a conversation with her about it again.

In the meantime, I'm putting out feelers to other schools to see what's out there. I'd definitely rather stay where I am, but I also want to keep my options open. This is blowing my mind. I thought I'd be at this school until I retire.

Still hoping to stay where I am.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Iím in a small school and have moved several times over the years. Iíve taught K -3 in no particular order. Iíve been in 3rd now for many years.

My P just moves people. Iím considered a veteran ďstrongĒ teacher. Admin would make the move sound like a compliment. A few times I was asked, but like the PP it was more of a ďheads upĒ. Another year my room and grade level was moved in the building and it makes no sense. There were so many better options.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Not at my school.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

At the school my youngest attends the P moves teachers around arbitrarily. Most teachers don't know what grade they are going to teach until they come back in August (the week before school starts).
That school has a HUGE turnover in teachers.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Moving Teachers
Old 02-19-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My former principal moved teachers every now and then.

I was moved from 5th grade to 2nd grade due to declining enrollment in my grade level and liked it a lot better. I wasn't pleased at first, but the new team was great, and I enjoyed teaching the younger students.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-20-2019, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Our school had a P who did that once as a power play. Lo and behold, the next time contracts were rewritten it was included that the principal cannot make arbitrary grade level changes. 99% of the time a change is initiated by the teacher, and usually happens when there is an opening because someone had to leave.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-21-2019, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My P always asks if anyone wants to move. But, it needs to be mutual. If there is an open position, she will ask everyone and try to figure it out.

Our Superintendent can move anyone at any time as long as it is in the "best interest of the students" (contract language) but the only time she has ever done that is when we lost positions and she had to move tenured teachers into spots held by 1st year teachers who were being pink - slipped.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote