BusyBoard

Using MAP Data

>

Teacherbee_4

Using MAP Data
Old 02-21-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm hoping some of you have some ideas.

Our next chapter in math is fairly easily. Based on the pre-test and what I have seen in class, there is some things some need to work on, but over all, this should be a fairly easy chapter. There are only a few (1-3) who need to work on every concept in this unit. the rest have mastered some concepts already and not others. I also think that for some, the ones that they haven't mastered, they will master fairly quickly.

I have 90 minutes for math 3 days a week and 60 minutes for math 2 days a week. I'd like to take some time, especially on the 90 minute days, to do some more need-based instruction in smaller groups (like a guided math/workshop approach) based on MAP data.

My thought was to group students by RIT range (not tell them this of course), then pick a skill from the learning continuum (maybe one from a similar domain or similar to what we are learning in this unit) and cover that skill in small group. While I'm with small groups, they can do need-based things from this current unit or other activities based on those skills. Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions? Any success stories to share?

I did math workshop everyday when I was public school because my kids were so spread out. I haven't had to do so as much in the Catholic School I'm at because the kids are pretty much at the same level. However, because I did it for 5 years, I'm pretty familiar with it. I've done a modified version of it at the beginning of the year because of some skill levels, but haven't needed to since. I'm sure I'll need some sort of review of expectations and such since it's been awhile.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 02-22-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our county is pushing GUIDE math by Donna Boucher- https://twitter.com/MathCoachCorner

I have always done math workshop, but this is slightly different than I have ever done it, but I'm liking it, and so are the kids. I used to have kids go to 3-4 different centers a day, and they never really completed the activities because it was so short. This is different. Students stay at the same center THE ENTIRE math block. Obviously they have more than one activity- they get a list of "must dos" and then "can dos" for when they finish.

G- Games
U- understanding
I- independent
D- developing fluency
E- expressing mathematical ideas

My groups are heterogeneous. Notice- I am NOT a station. This allows me to pull whoever I want, whenever I want. And since they're on the same station the whole time, they don't complain about missing a center the way that they used to (ie. computers, haha).

So when I go to pull groups, I pull up the MAPS learning continuum and start with the lowest for that skill. I pull 4-6 and work on a skill. This is normally my longest group I meet with. I often don't meet with the highest group until several days into the unit, because they don't need the basic review. I've also worked really hard on self monitoring- my students know that they need to advocate for themselves... if they're struggling with a topic, they can always join my group for extra support. They know I'm also ok with them excusing themselves if they can prove they know it.

That was probably way more long winded than you expected :P haha! If you're interested in more info, let me know- I shared photos and explained how I set up with a bunch of teachers at other schools earlier this year. This was a total game changer for me, and my scores are reflecting it!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-23-2019, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do very similar to what you are suggesting.

I do math rotations all 5 days, but on Wednesdays and Thursdays, we have a longer math time. I use those days to pull groups based on the RIT scores and the learning continuum.

I have the learning continuum printed out so I can easily see who is in what RIT band in each subsection. I pull groups and work with them for about 15 minutes.

My other students are either working on Moby Max, or practicing their multiplication facts. I also have a small enrichment group that is working through a PBL assignment together.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote