Help

BusyBoard

Tutoring Suport Group

>

Song of Joy

Tutoring Suport Group
Old 02-24-2019, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there such a thing as a support group for people who start a tutoring sideline? That's my plan, but I would like to connect to others to find out about pricing, insurance, pros and cons of traveling to client home, etc.

Any ideas?

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

I would NEVER
Old 02-25-2019, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

have a student in my home nowadays. Try to find a neutral, public place.

When students lie about what teachers say/do in a full classroom, it's important to protect yourself.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-25-2019, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I tutored I always did it in the students home and parents were required to be on site at all times-this isn't baby sitting and I didn't need the burden of responsibility if someone had an seizure or asthma attack or other issue (also when I started out I allowed library drop offs, since I wasnt alone with the student but then people were often late to pick up. Just few minutes but, still it irritated me)

I also gave a discount for paying in cash since I didnt like dealing with peoples personal checks and if I used paypal or venmo I might get stuck reporting it for taxes which I didnt want to do.

Its also important to have cancellation policy and a policy for vacation and weeks off. I depended on the money as my income so if you were sick last week and now you have two weeks of vacation its gonna be a problem.

Also its nice to have a parent questionnaire before you start with a family that asks about exactly what they want to work on (subject areas they struggling in or specific skills that they are behind in or just help studying what they are currently working on and studying for upcoming tests.)

just some things to think about.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Idea...
Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wonder if Pro Teacher would consider starting a board for tutors and tutoring? I'm not sure how to best pursue that...
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 02-26-2019, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would love a tutoring board. As teachers we know how to work with the kids but we donít always know how to run a business. Iíve had to learn on the fly. It would be nice to have a place to share successes and failures.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote