Help

BusyBoard

Have you ever wanted to quit teaching

>

Cliby08

Have you ever wanted to quit teaching
Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been teaching second grade for almost three years. Every year I have thought about leaving. I just feel like I am unmotivated and have to push myself to lesson plan. I still work 10+ hours a day and Some hours on Sunday and feel like I am not doing enough. I donít think my lessons are good. But I still get this gut feeling I shouldnít leave. I feel like I wonít be able to get a job that has the same health benefits or retirement. Donít get me wrong teaching isnít the best source of income, but itís not the worst either. I have a bachelors degree in liberal studies and a teaching credential. Not sure what else I can do with this. I donít know what to do. Has anyone else struggled with this?

Cliby08 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love teaching, hate the crap. Iíd really like to get into HR, and have sent out a few resumes but havenít gotten any bites.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 03-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I came into teaching 8 years ago after having been self-employed and then laid off by my part-time employer. Both were in the same industry, and I couldn't go back there because people are being laid off all over the place. I will say that every winter I think about moving someplace else or just generally feel down. I think it's the darkness and cold. I don't mean that to play down how you feel; I just sometimes think midyear is very, very difficult for teachers. It just drags.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 03-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have felt that way when teaching at schools with horrible principals. I love teaching, but a bad environment can be exhausting and upsetting. If you think it might be the school and/or principal, you could always try to apply to other schools before leaving the profession.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I have felt that way when teaching at schools with horrible principals. I love teaching, but a bad environment can be exhausting and upsetting. If you think it might be the school and/or principal, you could always try to apply to other schools before leaving the profession.
Same here. My 3rd year, I worked for a nutcase in a very toxic school. I actually very seriously looked at going back to school to get a nursing degree. Since the costs for that were obviously crazy (plus I would have had to continue teaching in the meantime to pull in a salary), I decided to try a better school first. Now I'm in my 9th year of teaching and I can't believe I ever had that idea!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

feeling
Old 03-04-2019, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have felt that way a few times through my long career, more so lately. The demands are worsening, that's for sure. I enjoy the teaching part, but not the paperwork, testing, parents, admin, etc.

But our profession does have its huge benefits. You get a new class each year. (Just think right now I only have 57 days left!! )You do get more time /days off than any other job, health benefits and retirement plans are the best!

I reread your post. You may need some kind of professional development to inspire you. If lesson planning doesn't seem to be your thing, check out the boards here, Pinterest, or TPT for some ideas. Do you have a team to consult? I always got great ideas and love the research part of lesson planning
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 03-04-2019, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Nobody here can really know whether you should continue teaching. Jobs by definition are not always fun. Nevertheless, if some nagging voice in you is telling you you really donít want to do this forever, the time to get out is while youíre young, are more easily hired in entry level jobs, and have less invested in the retirement system.

Explore banking and insurance jobs. You wonít get rich there either but they hire people with liberal arts degrees and advancement is possible. Many other possibilities require going back to school.

A lot depends on your tolerance for risk, courage, financial situation, and often with young adults whether you have a safety net, often provided by your family.

Adulting requires a job that supports you, but hopefully that job will be tolerable to you and not make you miserable daily. Donít leave your job until you have another job or a workable plan with high probability of future employment and all the pieces in place to survive financially until that happens.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-04-2019, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have had plenty of years that haven't gone all that great, but I have never seriously wanted to quit. I figure that I spent a lot of time and money on my education, so I'm going to find a way to make it work.

Every job is going to come with good and bad parts, so I would rather adapt to the requirements of the job than try to make the job adapt to my wishes.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

My take
Old 03-04-2019, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

First, this is a rough time of the year.

I hated writing lesson plans. Ours were very detailed and they had to be turned in every Monday morning. I read a post not too long ago on one of the boards here and many people never have had to turn in lesson plans. Once you’ve been teaching a while, you can know what you’re doing without writing it out in lesson plan format. Yes, everything was always ready for a substitute.

Your administration does make or break it as previous posters have mentioned. My last principal was just an extremely nasty person and also was very micromanaging. Everything in the many years before her could be done without administrative permission. Trying to switch a child from one math group to another math group ( two teachers and each had one grouping) was a feat of magic.

I am very much a perfectionist and used to always compare myself to other teachers or are those on Pinterest boards, etc. If your reviews and evaluations have been good, your lessons are probably well done.

Do you enjoy being with the children? Do you enjoy watching someone’s eyes light up when they finally get a concept? Are you able to be creative with your class and do different things? Or is everything scripted for you?

These things might be just a little something to mull over before you decide to leave. What I still liked besides loving teaching was every year was a fresh start with a new group (I am retired).
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Cliby08

Old 03-04-2019, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have a consultant yes. She helps me all the time. Iím very thankful for her. Still get overly stressed with planning though.

Cliby08 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 03-06-2019, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes! I've totally been there... many times. I taught 2nd grade for 9 years- year 9 I paid a lot of money for a federal resume to be written to apply for government jobs because I was totally quitting. I opened up to my P about it and feeling unsettled. She forced me to move grade levels (with some kicking and screaming, lol). I felt more refreshed for that year working with a new team, with a new curriculum, etc.

But, this year, I started to feel unsettled again. I decided it's time for me to get out of the classroom. As others have said, the amount of sh*t that comes down every year is worse and worse. So I got ESOL certified (here it only requires taking the Praxis to add the endorsement). I have a lot of experience working with ESOL students, and got offered a position at a brand new school for the fall. I can tell you, it has really changed my outlook on the rest of this school year. I have a I don't give an F what you think attitude- I'm going to do what I feel is best for my kids, prepare them for their testing, and have fun doing it. This is the love and enjoyment I had early on!

Do you have a specific area of teaching that you're passionate about? Gifted? ESOL? Reading? Math? Is there maybe a different type of position you could work towards? You just have to find what your passion is
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote