Help

BusyBoard

Where can I get books bound cheaply?

>

MissAgnes

Where can I get books bound cheaply?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My class is making a conservation book for a program we are doing through the Alaska Sea Life Center. I would like to have a copy made for each of the students, as well as a copy for the SLC, and a classroom copy.
These would be in color and bound.
I haven't checked out OfficeMax, but my experience is they are pricey.
When I took a class on Picturing Writing, the instructor said something about being able to get a class set of books hardbound for free, but I can't find my notes.
Any ideas?
Edited to add: I found schoolmatepublishing.com which does it, but they don't accept orders from Alaska.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

jeffie

Old 03-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I googled and found (studentreasures.com) but I don't have any experience with this company. Your idea to do this sounds good.
jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Shutterfly. High quality.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-07-2019, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I googled and found (studentreasures.com) but I don't have any experience with this company. Your idea to do this sounds good.

This is a great company! It is pricey for the individual books (20-25), so I wouldn't recommend it if you're planning on paying for them all yourself, but they are very nice quality and you get a free hardbound classroom copy.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Self Publishing
Old 03-07-2019, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't have any experience with Lulu but they are supposed to be good for publishing one, two, few (classroom number).

https://www.lulu.com/

KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 03-08-2019, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do some self-publishing... a lot depends on the size of the book and how many pages, plus how you want it bound. (Format is also a factor--PDF is the most portable.) Hardbound is, frankly, the most difficult and expensive.

My suspicion is that you are needing a printer with binding capabilities, not a publisher. There are a number of online printers... possibly even Staples. (The challenge with a publisher is you'll need an account, they'll want to help with distribution, etc. For what you have in mind you also don't need to get involved with ISBN numbers, etc.)

If I can help further, let me know... it would help to have some idea of "trim size" and number of pages... (I'm not soliciting business, by the way, a short run like this will be best done with a printer.) Feel free to message me if that's easier. It sounds like a fun and worthy project! (I'd also suggest providing copies to the local and school libraries.)
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

this may not be what you want
Old 03-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

but I've used a binding machine (pokes multiple holes in pages and a cover and then inserts them into a plastic edging for the spine (called plastic binding combs). You can use a fairly heavy card stock for the cover, print it in color on a copier and laminate it.

Your district may already have a hand operated binding machine which would be the most expensive part of the do it yourself project. The link below has combs and some binding machines.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+b...sl_5yj0hvxno_e
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote