Help

BusyBoard

Book Clubs/Holding Students Accountable

>

Teacherbee_4

Book Clubs/Holding Students Accountable
Old 03-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering what techniques you have found to be the best to hold students accountable for reading books in their book clubs. I have a few who truly read, comprehend, and remember what they read. The rest either "read" but don't remember a thing because they aren't even focused, or don't even read, despite the fact I let them pick the book as long as it is an appropriate level and I let them pick the length of the reading assignment! The last time we did book clubs, I gave a quiz after each reading. Many students hated this because they did poorly on them (often because they didn't read the book or didn't focus on remembering what they read...surprise surprise). My goal is to get them to LOVE reading and love book clubs, not hate it. Yet, I still want them to get things out of it and grow as readers. I want them to remember what they read. I want them to be accountable for reading the books.

So, what's the best way to assess their understanding of the book and hold them accountable for reading, without having them hate reading or hate book clubs?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

JunieBTeacher

Reading
Old 03-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would give them comprehension questions for each chapter and have them cite support for their answer (page #).
JunieBTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

book clubs
Old 03-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Couple things:
1. sticky notes -to jot down ideas from reading (character traits, setting, important events, vocab.) to discuss with groups

2. generic questions/responses -so that all groups can use the same , instead of specific questions for each book *I do genre lit circles. So for example, realistic fiction, all students will create character webs, determine theme, describe setting, etc.

Each page is modeled from my rf read aloud and then lit circles are assigned to read, discuss the work, then complete the written comprehension indy.

4. Everyone decide on a favorite part to share with group. Read aloud from the page.

Yes, there are still students who don't read the assigned reading and end up using time at recess or redo work in class to make up for it. But for the most part this has been pretty successful for me.
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

daffodils

book clubs
Old 03-11-2019, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did partner book clubs--I assigned the partners and together they agreed on a fictional book that was on level. Then we divided each book roughly into 10 parts. I had a generic sheet of questions that worked for every book that kids had to fill out after reading their assigned section.

For example, after the first section, they had to make predictions about the book. There were also things like describing characters, describing setting, writing a summary of the section read, etc. They also had to write 2 questions or comments on post it notes and use those to help guide their discussion with their partner. Kids discussed their post it notes and whatever topic they wrote about. I also had a sentence starter sheet for them to give them ideas to discuss.

I divided the class into 2 parts--A and B. Group A met Tues/Thurs to discuss and Group B met Weds/Fri. Monday was used for catch up or whole group stuff. If you weren't meeting that day, you used your time to read or answer your questions. I went around and listened in on partners and jotted down little notes. Kids got a participation grade and then a grade on the written work.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-11-2019, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use role sheets where students have different roles each meeting. I also use a short rubric that they fill out as to preparedness and participation. The groups fills out a group role sheet with a grade for participation, too. I sometimes keep the role sheets and use discussion questions to make an end of book quiz, but I prefer to meet with groups to grade their performance.

You can lead a horse to water, but you canít make them drink.

I do plan my poor readers group meetings so that I can meet with them to help the conversation. I also group my kids who I predict are not going to be prepared. Then I can lead their group with different activities, or I can give them a different schedule so that I ensure they finish.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great suggestions above so I wonít add to those....but are you letting them do the reading in class? When I set aside time in class for silent reading, a la Daily Five, Book Whisperer et al, most of my kids get it done and can focus. They still read individually, and I can have conferences with individuals as needed. Even if they donít get t ALL done in class, they are more like to finish up a chapter at home
Vs. having to read the whole assigned sections at home.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote