Should I Transfer?

>

Guest12345

Guest12345

Should I Transfer?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!
I am currently a first year teacher teaching 5th grade reading in a middle school setting (my school has just 5th and 6th grades). Before teaching, I always knew that I wanted primary grades, particularly kindergarten. But, I accepted this position because I honestly like all the grades and I told myself I would make it work. So here I am, in March, and I'm really feeling like I need to be a primary teacher. I like where I am, but I still have this longing in my heart for the little ones. My question is... does it look bad on a resume to transfer after one year of teaching, even if it is in the same district? A lot of the kids I teach right now have parents that teach at the nearby elementary, so I feel like I would have a good shot at getting a job there. Also, if I do decide to try and go for it, when do I tell my current principal?
Thanks for any and all help!!

jov

Old 03-12-2019, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"My question is... does it look bad on a resume to transfer after one year of teaching, even if it is in the same district?"

Not in my district. Teachers change schools and grades (within the district) frequently for many reasons. Classes get closed due to enrollment. Teachers retire, go on maternity, or earn a new certification. Some just want to try something new. I think it's a strength to have a varied background within the district.

It would be a little different if you frequently changed districts. Unless you have a good explanation (military family, lay-offs, etc) employers might wonder why you can't stick with a district.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You've only been teaching a year. Our younger teachers move around a lot in their first few years until they find the perfect school and grade fit.

Good luck! Yes, come to primary... you will love it!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 03-12-2019, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If primary is where your heart is, and you can transfer, go for it.

But, first, be sure you understand the district transfer rules. Each district has specific rules regarding transfers. Knowing people at the school may not be as valuable as you think. Here, as a first year teacher, you'd be at the bottom of the pack. Involuntary transfers first (room or program closing), then seniority comes in, and then there would be you.

If you belong to a union, your rep can walk you through the procedure for your district. If not, ask a teacher you trust not to announce it to everyone before you do.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you should follow your heart
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Transferring
Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my school system you can't transfer until after your second year. Check into the rules for transferring in your district.

If it works in your school system, I don't think it looks bad to transfer after one year. You want to work with primary grade students, so why not do so?

Last edited by travelingfar; 03-13-2019 at 02:06 PM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Like others have mentioned be sure you can. Here you have to be with the district for 2 years before transferring school sites.

Other than that I think you would need to get info from someone in your district rather than random answers from the mysterious void that is the internet since a lot of places have transferring procedure and deadline. For example here we fill out a returning teacher form that says if we plan to return or take a leave of absences and what our preferences are for school site and grade level. Then if nothing on our preferences form is available our P has to meet with us and go over what is available and what we want to do given what is available (this is mandated in our contract-they cant just suddenly put us at a different site or grade level without explaining why we cant have our preferred placement and giving us a say so in what we want to do instead).

Then after all of that was settled what ever openings exist after the big shuffle would be post for in-house applicants and we would have to apply and interview.

But if you are able to switch I say do it now rather than waiting and investing further in your current grade level. I taught kinder or pre-k for 10 years then I moved districts and was hired for 3rd and now after investing 3 years in third I dont even bother to apply for a transfer. I am too invested in 3rd to move back down and new learn curriculum and pacing guides. I have third grade down and I have put in MANY hours getting here so I dont want to start over. If you know you want to move do it before pouring too much blood, sweat, and tears into something that you know you dont want to do.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

changing
Old 03-14-2019, 01:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Go for it , if you can. In my district, you would have to apply for the new position , so it would not be a guarantee. But in this day in age, teach what you love, otherwise you'll burn out fast!
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote