Help

The VENT

Midyear Schedule Change

>

MMingE

Midyear Schedule Change
Old 03-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a 3rd year middle school SPED teacher in my first year working at a Charter School. My primary roles are to pull students out of class in order to provide SETSS services in ELA to Special Education students in Grades 6,7 and 8, as well as push in the 7th Grade ELA class in a supportive role and work on small group instruction. In the beginning of the year, I volunteered to begin checking the students homework as a way to help me get to know the students. As the year has progressed, my homework checks have grown to include shout outs and comments to students have taken something menial and made it somewhat entertaining to the students. My co-teacher and I developed amazing chemistry and we sometimes take turns leading the class and running the class more like an ICT class, even though it's not supposed to be an ICT class. Most importantly, the 7th grade classes were improving and showing growth and I have developed a very strong bond with the students.

A few weeks ago, after I was observed by the Assistant Principal, my schedule was changed. Instead of pushing in to the 7th Grade ELA classes 5 days a week, I now push in to the 7th Grade ELA classes twice a week and the 6th Grade ELA classes twice a week. The Assistant Principal felt that some of my responsibilities in the 7th Grade class, such as homework checks, were too menial for me. Since the switch, I have become more miserable at my job. The 6th students are group of poorly behaved and disrespectful students who are taught by first year teachers who do not have the behavior management strategies to control the classes. Most of the time, the students behavior is so poor that the ELA teacher is unable to complete the lesson plan for the day. The students are very rude and disrespectful towards me, often refusing to follow directions and are not receptive to teaching. Including one instance when a student tried to throw a pen at my head.

I planned on talking to the Assistant Principal about the move but was advised by several colleagues not to. The administration has a tendency to be spiteful, especially when their decisions are questioned and if I were to speak against this move, I would most likely be placed in that 6th Grade ELA class 5 days a week. I am planning on leaving at the end of the year but if they continue to push this class on me, I might not make it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by MMingE; 03-14-2019 at 08:06 PM..
MMingE is offline   Reply With Quote

Emily26

Emily26

Old 03-15-2019, 12:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You should absolutely not be doing another teacher's paperwork. That is a waste of your time and expertise. Instead of push-in with this group, could you lobby for some pull-out? Or at least, take a small group into the hallway where it's more quiet? Between you doing menial labor and the 6th grade teacher having a rough bunch, it's little wonder you were moved. I'm sure admin thinks that two teachers in the room will work miracles. Has the 6th grade teacher received any support with classroom management?

elepen

Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

MmingE

Why is it they have to fix something that isn’t broken. I’m sorry this happened because it is so wonderful when you find a working relationship that works so well. Unfortunately it is what it is. When is spring break?
After that it’s the final countdown towards summer. At least you don’t have the full responsibility of the class and there is another teacher. Could you two sit down together and come up with a class room management system with rewards and consequences. Class dojo or something for them to work toward. I’ve worked with students like that and it’s miserable
Are you allowed to give out candy? Give candy bars to the ones that are behaving making sure there are no food allergies.
You colleagues are correct don’t go to administration. The only fly in the ointment is the 6th grade twice a week the rest of it is good dwell on the good stuff. Enjoy your summer and next year is a new year.
Good luck and sending hugs
elepen is online now   Reply With Quote