Help

The VENT

Wwyd?

>

NCteacher

Wwyd?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel fairly confident that I did the right thing, but I feel sick over it. I had a student who in the last two weeks has made some graphic sexual comments to a few students. He told another student that he watches ďnastyĒ videos with his dad. I spoke with the school social worker and principal about it and since Iím a mandated reporter, I called DSS. The principal thought that the child had told me that he watched these videos, but thatís not what happened. So I called DSS and explained and the intake worker had a police officer contact me. That was a first. Usually they take the info and thatís it. The officer said that these comments are way too specific for an elementary school kid to know. And he said it was better to investigate and find nothing than to not report it and find out later there was a problem. I donít know why, but I donít feel comfortable with this. I explained that I didnít know precisely what was wrong , but that there are red flags everywhere.

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L

Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you're fine. Could end up a short conversation between dad and the officer or some action may be required. When in doubt, let DSS and/or police investigate.
Amy L is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-14-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm glad you called; it was the right thing to do. Like they always say, it's not our job to investigate. I do wonder if it's possible there have been other calls regarding this family and maybe that's why the response was different than you expected? I hope everything ends up being ok, but if not that the right thing is done so the kid is ok.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I do wonder if it's possible there have been other calls regarding this family and maybe that's why the response was different than you expected?
This has been my experience.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 03-14-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That would make a whole lot of sense- the only time I've worked with the police was when a child was being severely abused and was immediately removed from the home. You know how it can be- you know in your gut that something is wrong, but you can't say exactly why you have that feeling. I hope that my suspicions are wrong and it is just a short conversation and that's the end of it.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-14-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Better safe than sorry. Imagine how terrible youíd feel if the kid was being abused and you didnít report it. There are warning flags and your gut is screaming. Trust your gut. You know you did the right thing.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 03-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You did the right thing. Remember itís not our job to investigate or try to see if itís the truth, itís our job to report. You did what you have to do legally.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You definitely did the right thing, and I agree with this:
Quote:
Remember itís not our job to investigate or try to see if itís the truth, itís our job to report.
Like a pp said, I'm also guessing there were other calls or incidents coming from elsewhere. Maybe it just depends on the area, but in my area it takes an act of congress for CPS to even get involved at all, much less the police. We have a family that we have over 200 reports on.

Last year around report 100, they finally got assigned a caseworker. The caseworker did one visit, determined there was heat in the house and food in the fridge, and that was that. She reported back to us that the parent was simply a "mediocre parent" and that she would be offered parenting classes. Of course I'm not going to give details, but I'd hate to see what they consider a bad parent!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You did everything right. It's not your job to know precisely what is wrong, and in fact, you're not supposed to go fact-hunting beyond "What happened? When? Where? Who did it?" It's always best to err on the side of reporting vs. not reporting. I have called so many times over the past 20 years that I know the names of some of the intake workers. I just call and say, 'Hey, here's what I know, can you tell me if it's reportable?" and they will take what information they need. Sometimes that's, "Yeah, this isn't reportable, but we'll start a file" and sometimes that's "A police officer and social worker will be at your school in five minutes to pick up the child." It depends on the severity and the family history. Let this one go. You did what you were supposed to do.

NCteacher

Old 03-15-2019, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here, if a call is made to DSS, it is mandatory that they investigate within 48 hours, I believe. I think because of the sexual nature of the issue, thatís why the police were immediately notified.

Summerwillcom

You def did the right thing!
Old 03-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The very 1st call I ever had to make, made me question myself majorly.
I still have a really hard time when I need to make a call, but when in doubt, you have to let someone else sort it out. I hope you get to feeling better about it soon!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Haley, don't you know there are no parents? I've discussed a variety of child abuse and neglect with all sorts of officials to be told "there are trying" or "who are you to judge". It really p isses me off when I have siblings or generations of students who are a hot mess raising even worse messes to be ''they are no bad parents".

spedder1

Mandated reporter
Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You did what was right. You are a mandated reporter. It wasn't just once incident. It was several. There may have been other reports, too, which would explain why the police contacted you. I was subbing in a special ed classroom this past fall for a week. I knew 3 of the students from last year. One child was acting out sexually, saying things no first grader should know, especially a child with moderate cognitive delays. The paras said they had noticed it getting worse as the first 6 weeks of school had progressed. One day the child smeared feces on the bathroom wall. The following day I caught the child taking feces out of the toilet and putting them in her mouth. I called DCFS that evening. Within days the child was removed from the home and put in a therapeutic foster home out of the city. I hope the child is never returned. I guess the authorities have been involved in the past, too.
spedder1 is online now   Reply With Quote