Help

The VENT

Biggest Loser Challenge

>

School Time

Biggest Loser Challenge
Old 03-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year a wellness committee was started. My building got an email this morning from the PE teacher who is on it. He is running a Biggest Loser Challenge through the committee. Weigh ins will be confidential in the nurse's office and no one will know your weight. It will be base on percentage of weight lost. Put in #10 and the money will be divided among the top three winners.

If staff members would have decided among themselves I would have no problems. Coming from a committee I want nothing to do with it. I could stand to lose some weight but there are factors involved that make dinner time a problem for me.

Would this bother anyone else?

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's slanted against those who don't want/need to lose weight, but it could be the impetus some need to get serious about their health.

It sounds optional?

We did something similar at my school, but the focus was on fitness, not weight loss. That way everyone could participate. And it was 100% optional.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is optional. I don't like that my employer is involved. And we have a couple of teachers who are super competitive. There was a fund drive collecting for the PTO. That teacher's class brought in three jugs of coins. He was showing people photos of the jugs.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

Sounds optional.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Also sounds like something you are not interested in participating in, at this time. That's cool.

We have school provided wellness checks where we are provided our weight and vitals, cholesterol and such. No information is shared with our employer. I am always surprised by those that think this benefit is somehow a sinister plot to trick them into being healthy.

I've never done a weight loss competition and probably wouldn't join either. But to others, go for it!
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

We used to do something similar.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd have an issue w/ it if it were mandatory.
It was optional, but the P was the one to spearhead it. Every teacher who joined was supposed to keep track of hours working out at a nearby gym and a few other things like weight loss/ food consumption maybe. IDK exactly. ( I did not choose to be a part of it.) Maybe the nurse did check weights.
Last time we did it, it got WAY too competitive. 3 teachers who were kind of friends, but got mad at each other a lot, ended up with 1 winning while the other 2 complained to anyone who would listen that the winner cheated and lied. The other 2 were not known for their honesty or integrity. It reminded me of children who are poor sports.
I don't think it is a good idea for teachers to be competing with each other.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It really wouldn't bother me at all. It's purely optional. Every activity doesn't have to suit everyone. I might decide to join the weight-loss competition but never a running competition. To each his own.

As for the teacher gloating about winning the fundraising competition... I'm not sure why that bothers you. He did what it takes to get his students to raise the most money. We have fundraising competitions for the PTO, kids w/cancer, veterans, deployed soldiers, etc. several times a year at my school. If I make a big deal of it every day in my class, we collect a lot of $$. It all goes to a good cause in the end.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 03-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A few years ago my school did that, but it was a group challenge. You got together with a group of teachers (maybe three to five) and then weighed in with the nurse. The winning group lost the largest percentage of their starting group weight.
We have also had wellness challenges with step counts or time spent exercising. I have participated in those but did not win anything.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 03-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would object if it were mandatory, but since it's optional, I don't see any problems with it.

Many people enjoy doing weight loss competitions at work. My cousin lost a significant amount of weight that way, and found it motivational and supportive.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It sounds optional, but it is the first step in allowing employers via insurance companies too muc input in our lives.

How many of us have to participate in health reviews at the beginning of the year? You know, go in and they ch ck your vitals... first step, my friends. Pretty soon the yearly appointments will be a requirement, you will have to have health accounts connected to your fit bit, and log your water intake.

Oops, my dh already has that.wonder when they are going to pass him over for a raise or promotion because he takes Effexor or Zoloft? Or deny a claim because you didnít get your blood drawn this year! Or give less coverage because of your health risks?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 03-10-2019, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

At first it didn't bother me when I read your post, but after thinking more it would bother me.

I need to lose some weight and am sensitive about it. I would feel awful if colleagues were asking me if I were going to participate, because that means they are saying I need to lose weight. Since it's an area of sensitivity for me, I would feel that I must look ugly and fat to get those comments. The contest feels shaming.

It would feel far more positive if the challenge were to increase my fitness or exercise or steps. That would possibly result in weight loss like the first challenge, but not feel shaming, because even the biggest athlete I know has fitness goals she's working towards.

tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Since it's optional it would not bother me. I've participated in those kinds of things before (not always through work) and learned that for whatever reason, they simply do NOT motivate me. In fact, the opposite seems to happen. I guess maybe I feel too much pressure and end up blowing it all together.

Several times, I've participated in things like this after being on a good track on my own, and then ended up totally getting out of the healthy habits I'd already started all together. Last year, we had a thing at work where you were only supposed to pick two "healthy behaviors" that you wanted to track, like drinking more water, eating more veggies, etc. I couldn't even handle that! I'd been on a really good track by myself and had just lost about 20 pounds at the time- and as soon as this challenge started I completely blew it!

So I would definitely not participate, but if others want to, more power to them.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It wouldnít bother me at all.

We have run those contests multiple times.

I donít participate because I just donít want to.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I don't have a problem with it...
Old 03-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My school offered this for a couple of years and it was completely optional. I did not participate. It wasn't something that I felt would motivate me but those who chose to do it seemed to have fun with it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Old 03-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Nope. My weight is between me and my doctor. It's not the business of my colleagues or my employers. If a few colleagues who are friends want to get together and do this on their own time, good on them, but "weigh-ins" shouldn't be the primary topic of conversation in the workplace. You don't know what other people are dealing with. I'm overweight due to a medication I'm taking. A teammate is in recovery from an eating disorder. I can't imagine going to work every day and being bombarded with talk of weight and food.

DeeDee3073

Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We used to do this in my previous school district. I never paid because I didn't need to lose weight but I participated in all the fun challenges, walked/ran with coworkers, and celebrated their successes. We had fun with it and our superintendent lost close to 70 pounds.

There were 2 competitions- one for percentage of weight loss and one for the most number of steps walked/run. All in good fun and it was optional. Some people participated and won prizes and others didn't. Sounds like you don't want to "play" so don't.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Weight Loss Challenge
Old 03-11-2019, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would not enjoy participating in a weight loss challenge at school especially if there are competitive staff members involved.

I have no problem with other people doing it, however.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-11-2019, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We did both challenges at my school, too. I need to lose some weight, but I definitely donít want to talk about it or have others know my numbers, period.

I did the step challenge, and it was motivating. However, we have some runners, and they end up on a team together. How in the world are walkers supposed to compete with runners? Like 10k runners? Then it was non motivating and that defeated the purpose. I didnít want to do it the last time but got roped into it because of numbers. However, like I said, when one team is so far ahead from the first day, there is no motivation for others. I asked if we could spread the runners out among the teams and was nixed. I wonít do it again.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-11-2019, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

kahlua, that sucks! We make our own teams and I am never more popular!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 03-14-2019, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yes, I guess if there were teams with runners than that might not be fair. We didn't have teams. I'm a runner and sometimes run 5-8 miles a day. But, I never thought about it being unfair. There are people who walk the track before and afterschool, do Zumba and other things. I guess my school was not that competitive b/c I never heard anyone complain about runner. What about hikers or dog walkers? lol.

For those saying they don't want people to know their weight numbers, the numbers were never released. Weighing in happened in the nurses office and people wrote down their own numbers. It was never announced how much or what percentage someone lost. But those who lost, usually shared it b/c they were proud.

But again, these are optional events so...
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-14-2019, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
How in the world are walkers supposed to compete with runners? Like 10k runners? Then it was non motivating and that defeated the purpose.
I never participated in any of our fitbit/step challenges again after the first time for this reason. I remember one morning I was super proud of myself because I'd gotten up and worked out before school and gotten something like 3,000 steps before 7 AM. Then I check the fitbit board and someone else already had like 18,000 for the day! She's a distance runner. Then it felt like, "Why bother?" We didn't do teams- it was everyone for themselves.

Last edited by Haley23; 03-14-2019 at 10:54 PM..
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote