Help

The VENT

Admin who actually care????

>

checkerjane

Admin who actually care????
Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it a myth and legend??? Iím getting so exhausted of working for admin who donít give a dang about the toll their demands take on you. Their theory is to get it done, regardless of your family, your sanity, your time. Bottom line, do it, no matter the cost. Spring Break canít get here fast enough.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 03-14-2019, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know a lot of admins are like that, and at the district-level, ours are, too. Our new P, though, is very much the opposite. This is her first year, and she really tries to support us & respect our time, both personally & professionally. She is a godsend after our last P, who was pretty robotic & expected the staff to be, too. So they are out there! Maybe a new, better job will fall in your admin's lap & you'll get a good one, too...we can hope!
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-14-2019, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Feeling very similarly this year.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not a myth--mine is amazing. He always says, "Family first," and means it. He protects us as much as he can from silly mandates and respects our time.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

They exist!
Old 03-14-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am following mine 800 miles south, thatís how amazing he is! He makes you feel supported, valued, appreciated, safe, cared for...yep. They do exist.

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 03-14-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not a myth. Mine's not perfect but she does try to shield us from a lot and she has been known to tell the district office that they cant treat us like work horses.

She also is all about us coming to her when we feel overwhelmed so she can help get us some support. She always says that help is out there so dont hesitate to ask.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My admin definitely protects us from busywork coming from the district level that is a waste of time. Our district bigwigs couldn't care less about any sort of work/life balance.

My friend is on the union negotiations team and said that at one of the meetings, the superintendent made some comment about the job being salaried and if it takes until 9 PM to get it done, that's what it takes. Pretty interesting comments given our fairly high turnover and the fact that there is a teacher shortage in my state. What are they going to do when there is simply no one willing to do the job? If you want it to be an 80 hour per week job, then you need to PAY like it's an 80 hour per week job.

My P has actually vented in some of our meetings about how out of touch district leadership is and how they need to treat teachers better. She has high expectations, but the stuff she wants us to do is important, and if you ask for help, she'll give it. She's also let us use a lot of district PD days as planning days in our building.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Admin
Old 03-15-2019, 01:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I quite like my boss. She is gruff, but good hearted. She has been known to take classes for an hour or two when a teacher is feeling overwhelmed.

In my first year I was intimidated by her, but I have learned to appreciate and trust her. I will miss her when she retires, which is likely to be soonish.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Admin
Old 03-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My previous Principal was just awful! I changed buildings to work for one that is AMAZING! She works hard, is right there in the trenches with us! She says family is always first and she backs that with her actions. She takes heat to protect us as best she can from central admin mandates as best she can. I absolutely LOVE working for her!
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

educ8torsrock

A myth for me:(
Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In every school and district I've been in, admin has been terrible So many demands, so much shaming, so many unrealistic expectations, and so much micro-managing. Around here, it is HARD to get in the "good" schools and districts. You have to really know someone, or have family there. It's ALL about who you know. I've only been in urban Title 1 schools, where life is so hard. I'd love the opportunity to get off the rat wheel and feel appreciated. It's not because I haven't been trying, and my evals are great too.

educ8torsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
overtired

overtired

Old 03-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Not here. Work in special ed and my principal does not give due process time (shame on my union too) though seem to understand that due process needs to get done. Hmm. Just got a reprimand for quietly typing on an IEP during a PD lecture that had nothing to do with me or my students. Over it.

Summerwillcom

Maybe a thing of the past...
Old 03-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have had a couple of P's who truly cared.
I had another who always told us, " Family First" and he meant it.
He put his family over work to show us he was serious. Good guy!
THEN I got 1 like you described and I learned how to say no and mean it.
I think more and more of these P's ( younger men) are attempting to run a school like you describe. They burn people out, lose their best, or get a lot of resistance.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

My administrator talked a good game, but...
Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

She would say things like, "Take time for yourself and family," and then dump the latest pile of stuff we had to do on us. She would also remind us she had to do it, too. That might have been true, except she had a secretary and could shut the door to her office and get things done while we had to teach.The state is also responsible for changing the evaluation system so we now have to document our performance in a documentation log, and the district changed to a standards-based report card with endless rubrics to check off. Spring Break might be coming, but I was lucky to have any time to myself with everything coming due.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 03-16-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've had a lot of principals. I had two women principals who I used to think were good. When I think back to how they treated teachers they disliked, really true to just personality differences, and that I had time to dedicate due to being single, I think I wouldn't haven't liked them if it weren't due to circumstance. I will say, I think women principals are better. A lot of men come in and will tell you how short their teaching career is like we're stuck being teachers or some sort of losers. I think they're truly hurt when the old dogs like me bark back at them. While women principals don't like push back either, they had to work hard to get there and understand our struggles. A lot of men principals here were special teachers who get pushed a head once they get their admin cert because men are the minority in my district.

kitekrazy

Old 03-20-2019, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I had 15 years of great administration. They retired and I moved on.

They did out of school suspensions and the golden rule was to not talk back to the teacher.

They protected teachers from parents. Any uncivil parent was no allowed on campus only during PT conferences. Also the they would sit in with the teachers.

If a class was bad she would come in an yell at them. She called it her voice from hell. If one of them cracked a smile they went to the office.

She also had a reward system.

Basically they didn't use a play book given by psychologists.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It's real obvious there is a major decline in leadership in this area.

I think districts like them young and dumb so they have a trained monkey. I once worked for a company that hired kids out of college to be leaders. This often failed because leaders were looked upon for having a higher skill. They didn't have enough life experiences to show wisdom. Basically the attitude was "I'm in charge".

The sad thing is even good administrators get burned out. It seems the ones I know were at K-8 buildings.

In my perfect world the requirements to be an admin requires 10 years in the classroom. Unfortunately public education values administration more than teachers. Some states you can be an admin with no experience. The super in my former district was not a teacher. The plus side he was fair in contract negotiations.

Even principals can be handcuffed by the higher ups. My former principals got some leeway because our school stood out in having great behavior.

Since few are entering public education the trend for lacking admins will follow. If you only look at their salaries that's when foolishness beings.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote