Help

Center Activities

1st grade literacy centers

>

cla1stgrteach

1st grade literacy centers
Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my first year teaching 1st. I have taught prek and 2nd. I was wondering what centers other 1st grade teachers use and how you organize your centers. I want to have 5 different centers that the students will complete each week. Some centers I want to basically keep the same but change it a little each week, for instance I will do a spelling center each week but the spelling words will change or I will have a writing center but each week the students will complete a different task. Then, I want to have some that don't take much time to teach so I can change them more often. I have a couple books from the mailbox that have pre-made centers and I will also use those but put a different one out each week. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

cla1stgrteach is offline   Reply With Quote

shaley

You could
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

also try this website

http://www.fcrr.org/FAIR_Search_Tool...arch_Tool.aspx

it has amazing printable games and centers that are easy to understand in first and the kids LOVE them.

I simply used one of the small pocket charts from the cheap Target bins. Each week I would describe the centers in Meeting and create a notecard with the title and draw a basic picture of the center (mostly for my nonreaders). Each child would be a on a group card that sat next to a center in the chart and I would rotate them after each center.
Some of the centers I used included: magnetic letters, stamps, writing, library, listening, games, computers, letter tiles, flash cards, etc.

Hope this helps.
shaley is offline   Reply With Quote

cla1stgrteach

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did find a lot of great center ideas from the website. I will definitely be checking out and using some of the ideas.

Also, thanks for the ideas of things you use in class.
cla1stgrteach is offline   Reply With Quote

NJremedialK5

Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught 1st grade for 3 years and LOVED using centers.

SOme of my centers were
-partner reading (either from a basket with books of a certain theme or from their reading bags)
-make-say-write: in a 3 column word document, using HF words, I would write the word myself on dotted line, then have them use magnet letters (honor system here- you won't know if they made the word) and they check 3 little boxes in the 2nd column and in the third column they write the word neatly
-poem center focused on a shared poem I read with them daily and it had a small writing assignment to it and they could illustrate. I kept these in a notebook for each kid. They could also use it for shared reading!
-BINGO game using HF words, kids would take turns being the caller and they would play with their group mates

I would have between 5-6 centers and rotated them daily. Weekly the main centers would stay- magnet letters, games, poems but the content of each would be different. I also always had a guided reading center where I would work with a small group of kids. For the poem- I would have my lower students do this center towards the end of the week so they practiced it a lot before having to read it on theri own.
NJremedialK5 is offline   Reply With Quote