Help

BusyBoard

Notebook paper.

>

MissAgnes

Notebook paper.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm trying to teach my students (4th grade) the correct way to write on notebook paper. They always want to use the backside. Maybe not a big deal, but I'm sure when they get into middle and high school the teachers are going to be sticklers about this.
I couldn't figure out why some of my students just can't seem to use the paper correctly.
Come to find out they all had the same 3rd grade teacher, and she told them to use the back of the paper!!! Ugh.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Notebook paper
Old 02-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You mean she taught them the wrong way to use it or to use both sides?

If she taught them the wrong/opposite way, I am gobsmacked.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Never Heard This...
Old 02-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have never heard about not using the back of paper.

I taught my third graders to use it, and I know they also use the back of all kinds of paper in fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth grades. I even copied things on the back of copy paper.

When writing rough drafts, I made my third graders place X's on every other line and those were the only lines on which they could write. This made it much easier to edit a rough draft.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Notebook Paper
Old 02-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, idk about the OP...but my problem is they donít know which side to start on. I agree they should use both sides, but theee is a definitive front and back for sure!
They donít know the hole punch should be on the left. Some donít even know the big white header space should be at the top! A fat amount also write on top of the line - thinking the blue lines are what you are writing on, rather than starting on the first full space between the lines.

We spend a lot of time on that, even in junior high it still happens!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

She taught the wrong way.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

She taught them to start on the backside of the paper.

I don't have a problem with using the backside of the paper if you run out of room on the front. But the teacher actually taught these kids to START (write their name, date, etc.) on the back side!
So now I have to reteach the correct way. EVERY time we use notebook paper I have to stress: holes to the left, big space up top. And I STILL have kids who do it wrong. And it's ALWAYS the kids who had her the year before.

TAOEP

Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Strange, but unless the papers are actually going to be put into a 3 ring binder, does it matter?

I taught middle school and high school. Occasionally I would get papers that started on the back. I didn't actually care. Much more important issues to worry about, such as the accuracy and quality of what was written on the paper.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Interactive notebook in binder
Old 02-15-2019, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you were doing an interactive notebook in a binder, you would start on the back.

Blame it on the variety of types of notebook paper. Students who bring in the cheapo 7 x 10 inch or smaller paper size drives me crazy. Crooked lines across the page. Argh. The predrilled holes that donít fit a standard binder.
knit1purl2 is online now   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Maybe not a huge deal, but...
Old 02-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think kids need to know that details are important. Yes, maybe it's not such a big deal that they are starting on the wrong side of the paper, but in the future, I can guarantee there will be a teacher that dings them for it.
It goes with following directions, and formatting. And sometimes the little details are very important.
For example, does it really matter if you use blue or black pen? Well, not always, but try getting a passport application approved if you used the wrong pen on the form! I can tell you from experience it will NOT go through.
So while it may seem like a little thing, I think it's important to know the correct way of doing things. Call me old fashioned.

TAOEP

Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

MissAgnes, I totally agree that there are times that the details matter. Dividing by 10 and multiplying by 10 are very different. Sending in your tax return April 25 instead of April 15 results in a penalty. A "typo" in a computer program results in the program not running. But I still don't care whether students write on the "front" or the notebook paper or the "back."

Teaching students to pay attention to details includes deciding which details matter. Some do and some do not.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Eccj

MissAgnes
Old 02-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I totally agree with you. There is a right way, and the teacher should teach the right way. All details make the paper look better.

Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Question...
Old 02-15-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Have you discussed this with the third grade teacher?
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

TheElphaba

Front vs Back
Old 02-15-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I read through this whole thread and it was very interesting.

Quote:
Teaching students to pay attention to details includes deciding which details matter. Some do and some do not.
Maybe this is a problem that shows up in everyday life. Some details go with rules . Are we teaching our students to disregard details because it isn't important to them?

This will seem farfetched but, what happens if the student is driving and the detail of coming to a full stop at a stop sign he/she figures, "nah, this doesn't matter and it it isn't important to me" and they hit somebody......

It is interesting how we are ALL teachers yet we ALL have different ways of teaching. Please don't think I am putting TAOEP down for giving the choice of what details to follow. I just find it interesting and thought provoking because it really made me think about what I would want to focus on, what is the big picture".I decided the following:

If I worked with students in resource rm I might let the issue of what side they wrote on go because I would be more interested in "what" they wrote.

However, if I was in a regular classroom I would require the writing on the front simply because that is the USUAL way. (If I wanted them in a binder the holes are on the left so I would want the writing on the front of paper)

I don't understand WHY is the 3rd grade teacher teaching them to write on the back....maybe you should just ask her.
TheElphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest1419

Guest1419

I agree
Old 02-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I teach 4th grade (and have been for years) and I stress the importance of holes on the left side. I cannot even look at a paper that is upside down or started on the back. We do a whole group lesson in the beginning of the year on anchor chart paper (I made my own notebook paper on there) and leave it up all year. By midway through the year, if I get papers with holes on the wrong side, they know I won't accept it and they have to redo. These things are important!!!! I can't understand the responses that say it doesn't matter. What about when kids are in college or beyond, and they are showing their boss a draft of something they hand wrote with holes on the wrong side..I mean come on. This is a small skill and it's important that it's taught correctly. What's the purpose in letting them do it as they want?! #petpeeve

whatever

Even in SpEd
Old 02-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

we teach them to write on the notebook paper the correct way.

I made examples of a journal entry, several assignments in MLA format, a friendly letter and others on notebook paper. I laminated them for the kids to see and hold in addition to direct instruction.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Stories and chapters start on the right hand page...that gets interesting when page numbering and formatting a book. Might be another way to come at this.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote