Help

BusyBoard

Student Teacher- need advice

>

1styearteach4

Student Teacher- need advice
Old 02-15-2019, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Student teaching is the hardest experience I have ever had. I am getting good feedback from my cooperating teacher and supervisor, but everyday feels like I'm going through a heavyweight fight.

I know how wrong this is, but I want the kids to like me. If there is a student (I teach seniors) who gives me strange looks or I can sense they are talking about me it bothers me. I teach about 70 kids per day and I want all of them to think I'm this super cool and amazing teacher, but i know that's not realistic. Have any of you had similar experiences of feeling disliked by some students? Any advice is appreciated!

1styearteach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You've taken the first step toward preserving your sanity by knowing that expecting to be liked by every student is unrealistic. Now you need to work on internalizing that piece of wisdom.

You need to be spending your time on lesson plans that effectively teach standards, on communicating clearly, on adapting lessons to individual needs, on time management, on learning best practices. Work on being respected and appreciated, rather than liked. You are the TEACHER, not their friend. Being liked is a bonus.

Please try to get your "being liked" needs met someplace other than in your classroom. It's important for all of us to be liked (and loved)--at home, with our friends, maybe even in our neighborhood or church. But that cannot be your motivation in being a teacher.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 02-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you are on the right track to recognize this isn't a healthy feeling....I do think it might be harder for you than for those of us who teach elementary just due to student ages.

I think you have to reframe your teaching. Your satisfaction should come from student growth, building an appropriate student/teacher relationship (which means that you have set boundaries & expectations with the kids). You are not in teaching to make friends (with students).

What I will also say...could the weird looks be something they don't understand?
How do you know they're talking about you? Could they be talking about something else and you are so worried about this, that you're projecting?
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

TheElphaba

To Like Or Not to Like
Old 02-15-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My advice is to "be you, be genuine (hs students can spot BS), be caring, be the best teacher you can possibly be".

Remember the boundary line at all times because if you don't you will regret it as the students will walk right over you and you will lose your standing. I have seen this many times in many different schools.

I do know from my own experience that I too felt that HS students were talking about me and yes that did make me feel uncomfortable. I think once I even came right out and asked if they were.

It didn't take me long to figure out that it didn't matter if they liked me or not. Of course that would be great, but I was and am in classroom to impart knowledge. I am not there to be their buddy. Also I think I became more comfortable in what I was doing/teaching. When I became more comfortable in teaching that feeling of awkwardness went away. The students started to listen and learn and then I had students lined up to take my class. I did that by being consistent, firm, prepared and having high expectations. I still see students to this day that come up to me and say I was their favorite teacher NOT because I was their buddy but because of my management style.

I hope this helps
TheElphaba is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

My short suggestion...
Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Change it to “I want every student to respect me.” The kids who respect you will think you’re super cool and amazing.

Guaranteed.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote