Help

BusyBoard

retirement

>

snosho

retirement
Old 02-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had to commit to retiring last week. I did complete necessary paperwork and turned retirement papers in. Has anyone ever had second thoughts if your retirement decision was right? I have those feelings of excitement about retiring and ones that scare me (did I make a mistake?) I've taught for 37 years so, it's been my life. Anyone else have those feelings? My husband will be retiring soon after me so, we can make plans to travel, family visits etc. I guess I'm looking for reassurance. Thank you.

snosho is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

You bet...
Old 02-18-2019, 01:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In some ways, I have retired several times. Even positive change can be hard because of the fear of the unknowns. I think some of it is about trusting yourself and your ability to adapt and/or change what doesnít work. Keep a forward focus. Jet pilots donít have rear view mirrors.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 02-18-2019, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Why did you have to commit last week? I'm confused. Was the paperwork due then, or did you hit a mandatory retirement age? I'm beyond retirement age, but not ready to retire yet. I'm enjoying my teaching (despite the occasional hassles). And besides, I still have young(er) kids (adoptive parent) I have to support.

I would remind you that retirement from teaching doesn't necessarily mean you have to stop altogether. You could find a part-time retirement job, or tutor, or get involved in a more complex volunteer activity than you've been able to manage while working. There are still opportunities out there!
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 02-18-2019, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I’m sure it’s natural to second guess your decision.

I think it’s up to your district. In my district, there was a teacher who filled out the paperwork for retirement and then wanted to wait another year or two to retire. Our district would not allow her to rescind her paperwork and she had to retire.

I am sure that everyone questions whether the time is right. As you said, 37 years is a long time to do something and then have it end. A pp gave great suggestions about still doing other things. I wish you well. If it helps any, I would love to be in a position to be able to retire. I look forward to trying new things and seeing what I’ve been missing.
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think that it is a normal reaction. Teaching has been a huge part of your life for so long. As long as you have made sure that you can be financially fine, there is no need to second guess yourself.

In my district you have to send your letter of intent by early February. I retired four years ago and continue to work part time for my district. Partly because the extra money is nice and partly because I wasnít quite ready yet to give up my role as an educator. This will be my last year of the part time gig. Now I know I am ready to fully retire.....well, except to be on the list for interventionist subbing . They rarely get subs for them, so I donít anticipate getting called at all

Check out the Retired Teachers board. Itís a very happy place!

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Me, too...
Old 02-18-2019, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I submitted my retirement papers two weeks ago. It was time. I love the kids and I love teaching, but the rest of it was finally just too much to take, and since I don't have to take it anymore, I'm not.
It's been interesting - I feel as if I'm insulated from it all, that it's not real...but it is. I'm scared and excited all at the same time. I keep second guessing my decision, but now it's too late to change my mind, so I need to convince myself to just look forward.
I'm trying to clean everything out (throw away lots, give away lots, and keep a little) so I'll have nothing to do on that last day except walk out the door. I'm also trying to celebrate the "lasts" - last boring, frustrating meeting, last time I'll ever teach a topic, last time I'll have to do report cards, last time I'll have to do recommendations, last time I'll ever do a project.
I think we will feel scared and excited for the rest of the year, don't you?
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Check out the Retired Teachers board
Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

All of the ups and downs, mixed emotions, second thoughts, etc. you all are having are completely normal. I retired 6 years ago, and the Retired board helped me keep my sanity during that last semester. These days, I enjoy subbing, and I stay as busy as I want to. It has made me remember why I became a teacher, without all the pressure.

Retirement is a big adjustment until you find your footing. It’s difficult to give up your life’s work/identity, and you may feel adrift for awhile until you reinvent yourself. It’s a process, and so very helpful to go through it with others who have been there or are in the same place you are.

ETA: I see Cat woman already suggested the Retired Teachers board, so I give it a second! Everyone is welcome there, whether you’re ready to retire now or just thinking about it in the future.
mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

snosho

retirement
Old 02-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you to everyone who responded. The reason I had to let my district know so early is for the insurance buy out. If you don't meet the deadline you lose it so, after 37 years, I wasn't going to do that. My husband is retiring too so, we will have a lot of adjustments. We both are excited (he is more than I) yet, I'm the one that really can't imagine life without a schedule. As a classroom teacher, I've had a schedule for years. I know I'll adjust yet, need the reassurance that everything will work out. Financially, we got the okay to retire so, that's not the issue. It's the emotional aspect for me.
Can anyone suggest a good book on this topic?
snosho is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

snosho
Old 02-19-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Six years ago I did much the same thing. I retired because of a health insurance buyout. DH and I sat down and looked at what insurance would cost and how I was feeling about teaching. I was ready - not yet toast but feeling burned out. We haven't regretted it. My state included Silver Sneakers as part of our insurance even though I was only 60. It's been a great way to enjoy gyms and meet people. I have subbed with my district and have enjoyed most days.
Come to the Retired Teachers board and you'll see retirement in all phases are discussed. It's a process that we have grown into.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2read10

Volunteering
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you are worried about identity and sense of purpose as opposed to financial considerations, there is no shortage of great volunteering opportunities. I have been doing a lot of free ESL tutoring the last few years. No bosses or parents to deal with, just people who are genuinely grateful for your help.

teach2read10 is offline   Reply With Quote