Help

BusyBoard

Ged

>

arsabl

Ged
Old 02-21-2019, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know a young lady who wants to earn her GED. She is home bound with health issues. What is the best way for her to do this? Are there books she needs? Online programs she can access? She is motivated but not wealthy.

Thank you!

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Community college
Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are definitely books available. Often they can be checked out from the local library. In my area community colleges teach GED classes. I believe that they are free, but it costs to take the test and probably to purchase books.

Since the young woman you are concerned about is homebound, going to class would probably not work. However, she might start by talking with someone at the community college about her situation and her educational background and ask for their advice. The GED classes generally start by giving students a placement test to figure out what they already know and what they need to learn.

The other question to get answered is how will she be able to take the GED test when she is ready--if she is still homebound?
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A couple of additional suggestions:

Contact the local high school... the principal or guidance counselor would likely be best. Some of our high schools have alternative programs and resources. I would hope they'd support someone who is trying.

In my area, the adult education programs (typically associated with the school district) have programs designed to help with this. In some programs, there are full-time instructors whose mission is to help people get their equivalent degree.

14 States are now using the "HiSet" Equivalency Exam as an alternative to the GED. If she's in one of those states, there are online practice tests. A little "googling" will probably turn up some info.

I'll bet a call or email to someone at the local high school would get her started on the right path. Ideally, you'll stumble on to someone with a passion who will figure out a way to help her!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ged
Old 02-22-2019, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

School systems would have information about GED classes and online options.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Wisconsin
Old 02-22-2019, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In Wisconsin, GED classes, practice, and testing are done through the technical institutes. They have classes on campus or night classes at local libraries.

I suggest this young lady or perhaps you contact the local high school to find out the specifics in your state.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 02-22-2019, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks! Everyone has given me excellent suggestions. Iíll research them and pass on the information to her.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote