Help

BusyBoard

Things that make you go hmmm.

>

MissAgnes

Things that make you go hmmm.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have 4 students who almost ALWAYS say (after I've given directions) "I don't get it!" or "I don't know what to do!"
I've realized that these 4 students are the SAME 4 students who are constantly talking/blurting/not paying attention.

Which tells me that the problem is not with my instructions, but with their lack of attention.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Yep
Old 02-27-2019, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Today, subbing in a 6th grade classroom, I gave instructions for the period. They were on the board too. I did "Eyes on ME". All were looking. Told them that during silent reading time, students with money could go down to the book fair. Three students left. Ten minutes later, three students returned. I announced before they left, that we would read an article and discuss it when they returned. All eyes still on me. At the end of the period, one boy, who sits in the front row, by the door, asked me, "Wait, was I supposed to go to the book fair this period?" Sigh.....
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-27-2019, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes I give different directions when they ask.

Naturally I dont do that every time or to the ones that really struggle. But it is effective for others.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I refuse to repeat...
Old 02-27-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I refuse to repeat if they don't know because they weren't paying attention. Today my class took a reading quiz that was from our book. I found it odd that we focused 2 things and they didn't have anything related to one of the skills on the quiz, so I added something. However, I add the kids do it on a sheet of looseleaf. Before I passed out the quizzes, I told them to put their name on it, but then not to get started, to just sit and listen to my directions because I was adding directions that weren't on the quiz.

I added the directions, had a kid explain it back to me, and wrote directions for the added part on the board. Then I told them they could work. As soon as I said that, a kid came to me with the quiz "done". I said he was missing a part. He said, what? and I said, yeah, you started while I was giving directions, didn't you? He put his head down and I said, well now you missed a part." I sent him back to his desk. I wouldn't repeat the directions. My students were dead silent because of the quizzes. No one would help him. About 15 minutes later, he figured it out because he saw it on the board. It took him that long.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Directions
Old 02-28-2019, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ugh! Ive made a game of it. I go over the directions. Then I say ridiculous things like....When you are finished with your work I want you to eat your paper. Correct? Of course they giggle and say no. Then I say something like, If you need help please roll on the floor and cry like a baby. Correct? At some point I slip the correct directions in. They love it and Im challenged to be creative. And honestly I do enjoy the silliness of it! at this point it is the only thing saving my sanity!

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My one that is always off-task and not listening had a major meltdown today. We are discussing progressive verb tenses - which I think are ridiculously easy- and I had given them an assignment that apparently sent him over the edge. He started telling me he hadn't understood a thing I had taught all year and that we just kept going from one thing to the other like robots on an assembly line. (You would have had to see the hand motions and hear the tone of voice to really appreciate this conversation!) I really wanted to laugh and ask if he was serious, but instead I used it as a time to discuss how his behavior might be a contributing factor to his confusion. (and then I retaught progressive verbs for the zillionth time...)
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Sometimes...
Old 02-28-2019, 11:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sometimes I would tell a student how sorry I was that I just didn't have time right now to repeat the directions but I would certainly be happy to help at recess time. Usually the child would figure it out rather quickly. The key was to use a very sympathetic voice.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 03-01-2019, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Two quickies...

When giving instructions call on the student not paying attention and ask him/her to repeat the instruction.

Meet I don't get it with "Okay, so get started." I demand some level of engagement before I repeat or help, even if it's just having a pencil in the hand or writing their name on the paper. Much of the time they DO get it, they are just stalling because they don't want to do it.

I once had a third grader who loved to play this game. She would sprawl over the top of her desk and whine. I would refuse to help her until she was sitting up straight holding a pencil.

It's my version of "do what you can, the rest will follow..."
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote