Help

BusyBoard

bottom of the pyramid

>

starley

bottom of the pyramid
Old 03-02-2019, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After the past two weeks, I have had at my school. It has become quite obvious that teachers are the bottom of the swamp. Those above us that make all the ridiculous decisions literally don't give us a second thought. What is even more sad...the children are second to the bottom. As an older (more experienced) teacher it is heartbreaking and makes me very angry to be a part of...the younger group of teacher know no difference. Survival...I must do 4 more years to get my best quality of retirement. I can't get through the day without admin making a foolish decision that impacts teachers and my kindergartner littles. We just went almost three weeks with no planning period. Because our ancillary teachers were used for something else. Can you imagine 3 weeks with no break from the children to get stuff done. Bottom Feeder. We were all mad, but everyone to scared to say something.

Years from now everyone will look back and say, "why did we do that to those children?" As much as I miss my won children being younger, I am super glad they are out of school.

starley is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-02-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our newer teachers are very vocal, too. Whenever we question something, they are going, "Oh no, we have this figured out, it isn't difficult."

Reminds me why, my first years I remained quiet at staff meetings and trainings. I am glad I did.

That said, at my school we have a lot of voice in what we do. Higher ups, of course, push things down that we don't agree with, but often there are some ways around things. Some not, but... I still love my job.

I hope that in the future we wonder about some of the things we did. But I hope things turn around for teachers soon.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-02-2019, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My AP just made decisions about PARCC that had me so angry I was almost in tears but it does no good to question because we get no say and no one else in my building speaks up. But when the scores are low who will be blamed? The teachers.

Iím so tired of teacher blaming when me make literally NONE of the decisions.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

last years
Old 03-02-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The last three years I taught we used a wonderful program from Texas called Capturing Kids Hearts. It changed our campus - made difficult students easier to work with and made office and teaching staff more professional. After two years of working with the CKH trainer/ facilitator, we were in a monthly staff meeting. She again congratulated us on our hard work, our gains with kids and parents. She mentioned something about how our admin knew their MOST important clients. I sat their thinking about the kids, the community and then the trainer clarified, THE TEACHERS. I began to cry. In 25 years, I'd never felt that valued.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 03-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sorry you had to go 3 weeks without a planning period. I look forward to my planning and the the peace and quiet to reset my brain during the day. Kindergarten teachers most definitely need this break.

Do you have any language in your contract about subbing for other teachers during the work day? I ask because ours does, and I would most definitely file an expense form to get paid for that time. If you were covering specials teacher's class times, even if they were your students, then you were subbing for them.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 03-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our Ancillary/Specials teachers are also our 'testing' team. So, when mid and end year testing time rolls around. We do not have our Ancillary/Planning time. We do not have such language in our contract. Right to work state and all. We often get extra students in our classrooms when teachers are out and no sub picks up. We had 3 teachers out the other day teachers had 5-6 extra kids that day. Like I said...bottom feeders
starley is offline   Reply With Quote
BoredCoTeach

BoredCoTeach

People leave bosses
Old 03-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

People leave bosses not their work is mostly true in education. In my years of professional work, teachers and principals are the hardest people to deal with, in terms of buy-in and collaboration. In business, people talk about ideas not kids or coworkers, they work as a team, and think how things impact others. In education, teachers and principals want to throw each under the bus, never talk about hard issues, or don't want to teach together.