Help

The VENT

Student Vacation Vent

>

Kinderkr4zy

Student Vacation Vent
Old 03-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student that is LLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWW. Like 2 years below grade level in reading and still working on second grade skills near the end of third grade in math. I keep him after school 4 days a week for an hour to work him and a few others who are in the same boat. Still he doesn't make much progress (less than he needs to and less than the other kids work over time with me).

Well I have been working hard all year to go through the SST/intervention process to try to get this kid some help. Finally I have a meeting tomorrow to refer the kid for testing and tonight a I get an email that he will be taking his 4th week long vacation this year. oh yeah and they only gave me 1 nights notice get his absent work. Keep in mind that we are a year round school with tons of breaks (we have two week break every two months) he never does a vacation during a school break. Every time I try to keep data to get this kid help its invalidated by 5-10 days straight of absence.

I have F-ing had it. I cant help a family who cant keep their kid in school. I have been very clear with the family all year that this kid is far far behind and I feel they are spitting in my face taking their kid out for another vacation. They will not test this kid now, not after he will have missed more than a month of instruction-insufficient instruction alone would disqualify him from sped. DONT THESE PEOPLE EVEN CARE ABOUT THEIR OWN KID!

Not to mention that I am putting on a play and their kid had a speaking part. We started rehearsing this week, then we will have 2 more weeks to rehearse before the show. How the heck can I have him in a play that we only rehearse for 3 weeks if he will be gone for one of them. But I know damn good and well that if I tried to take his part and give it to someone else who doesn't have a speaking part who will be here his parents are going to complain to the P-BUT HOW CAN HE BE IN OUR PLAY IF HE IS TAKING A WEEKS VACATION IN THE MIDDLE OF REHEARSALS!.

i AM DONE WITH FAMILIES WHO PUT VACATIONS AHEAD OF HELPING THEIR STRUGGLING STUDENTS!

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Student vacations
Old 03-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This was always a HUGE hit button for me.

I came to believe that the parents of the low, low kids wouldn’t believe their child could progress if they keep them in school. So they would take them out a lot to reward them in some weird way. Sort of “you’ll never be smart enough, so forget about it, we’ll just have a lot of fun instead.”

I had a few over the years and it would tick me off. I wanted to scream “If you would just give him/her one solid year of education with your support, you will see what he/she could do.”
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 03-14-2019, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it was one vacation, I'd use the "assume the best motivation" strategy (which isn't always true, of course, but protects my feelings) and guess that the dates couldn't be avoided because they were going to a family wedding, a parent was home on military leave...something like that. But four times, they've lost me! I would stop collecting data, since they continue to make it useless.

As for the homework, photocopy a few math pages, and tell him to keep a journal.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

caseycat

In my state
Old 03-14-2019, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Those days would be unexcused absences and the child would be identified as truant. There would be a meeting with truancy and notification to the state.

We do not give homework for child to do on family vacations they choose to take during regular school time.

You are absolutely right, first question asked at PPT... could this be due to lack of instruction? If the child misses that much school, the answer is yes.

I have no solution except count the days until school ends. You have gone above and beyond for this child. It is on the parents. You can sleep at night.
caseycat is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-14-2019, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

FOUR WEEKS? Yikes! Clearly education is not a priority or they figure he will just "get it" at some point.

Who can afford FOUR vacations????

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 03-14-2019, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This.
Quote:
“you’ll never be smart enough, so forget about it, we’ll just have a lot of fun instead.”
Little Johnny will become big Johnny most likely still living at home in his early adult life. That way, they can still all travel together as a family.

Thankfully, we're not required to provide work for any type of future absence. Since I plan day to day, I don't have it available until the day before/the day of. Your kid(s) will have to have to catch up upon return.

Not all teachers and subjects can just whip up a work packet to give the student. I used to give some work but then I got really ticked off at the excuses:
"He forgot it at the hotel and we couldn't go all the way back to get it."
"I didn't know how to do any of the work."
"Please allow my child to have additional time. There really wasn't any opportunity for him/her to do the work."
and that list goes on and on
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had this problem many times in my teaching career and I learned very quickly to : document these trips in the comment section of the report card,drop the kids out of tutoring after two absences from the group (warn the parents in writing beforehand) pile 7 papers on the kids desk for every day he isn't there,refuse to give work ahead of time because it isn't worth my time and above all else keep in writing all the non opinion facts about child's attendance in class and his progress. Let go of this problem. It belongs to the parent.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-14-2019, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My family took a week long vacation each school year when I was in elementary. They always pointed out all of the background knowledge I was gaining from these trips (and I wasn't behind). We went when the grandparents were paying for it, which was in October. They refused to deal with the crowds in the summer. When I saw the title, I was like, eh...but then I saw FOUR trips. That's definitely excessive.

If they haven't already left for the vacation, I'd let them know he won't be able to have the speaking part in the play. You were unaware that he was going to miss an entire week of practice when you assigned the part. If there are other kids in the class that would benefit from your after school group, I might consider giving this kid's spot to one of them instead. It would make more sense for a child who is maybe slightly less behind but will actually attend and get something out of it to have that slot.

I also personally wouldn't work too hard on the absent work. Does the kid usually turn it in? I'd just gather up some worksheets or maybe give a math packet and say he needs to read for 20 minutes a day or something.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Old 03-15-2019, 12:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a student who has missed 40 out of 130 days. Her parents want to know why she is behind and what I'm planning on doing about it. All the eye rolls.

Honestly, after many many years of teaching, I've learned that there are some kids you just have to cut loose. Spending hours of your own time tutoring someone who doesn't come to school is pointless. Students don't need/deserve to be in Tier 2 and Tier 3 interventions if they're missing 90% of Tier 1. I reserve my tutoring hours and small group teaching assistant support for students who have good attendance, make good effort, and are still struggling. THOSE are the kids who deserve our time, attention, and energy.

And all of this "trips are important"? Yeah, I get it, and I don't necessarily disagree. But A. we're on year-round school, so we have many breaks during the school year, including off-season, much cheaper options for families, and B. these kids aren't missing school to go on valuable learning excursions with their families. They're staying home because mom has a hair appointment or dad is hungover and they can't be arsed to get their kids to school.