Help

The VENT

Should a person tell.

>

teachmom2013

Should a person tell.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a friend who is a teacher and she was a victim of a sex crime (bad date). She told her councilor and the councilor suggested she tell at least the AP. She doesn't want everyone to know. But she is having flashbacks and emotions in class.

Should she or should she not tell her AP?

teachmom2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-14-2019, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's up to her. It also depends on the relationship she has with admin.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No. She should not tell anyone in admin. I don't understand why it would even be suggested. I gather that no charges were laid?

I can't imagine the emotional trauma your friend is going through. Would it be possible for her to go on a short leave?
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachmom2013

Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

they suggested to tell at least one of the admin that way if she needs a moment. for example, recently, at student came up to hug her and she got emotional. It was a sped student who hugs everyone. the student came up from behind to hugged her.
teachmom2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

If she isn't comfortable with
Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

sharing right now, then she shouldn't.

Recovery is a process and everyone needs to decide when and what they are ready to do. The counselor suggested she tell, she didn't advise that it is something she needs to do.

I don't even know how having the administrator know will help. A special ed student will hug her whether the ad. knows of not. An administrator should be willing and ready to support the emotional response of a teacher without knowing why they are reacting like they do.

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Nope
Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There's no need to tell the administration if she plans on continuing to work every day. If she's unable to teach due to her flashbacks, she should take some time off. All she needs to say is that she was the victim of a crime and won't be coming to work for a period of time.

I hope she reported this to the police.

Last edited by travelingfar; 03-15-2019 at 11:59 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-14-2019, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is obviously a personal decision. I personally wouldn't tell unless I was taking time off, like the pp said. My thinking would be that it's not anyone else's business, and like the pp said, it's not like admin is always going to be around anyway.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Wow!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It has to be your friend's own personal decision. I do not think her counselor should have told her to tell. If she has flashbacks, I think she needs to consider options of time off imo.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
homemade sou

homemade sou

Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If it has an impact on her work and she might need to take time off to heal, she should share her a medical diagnosis (PTSD) with the AP and HR and if needed get a doctor' note for time off or possible work restrictions. I work in special education and my principal could care less if you are 20 month pregnant or lost a limb on the way into work unless you have a doctors note about work restrictions. Having a documented disability should give her some legal protection. She does not have to share the specifics.

DeeDee3073

Old 03-14-2019, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I find this strange. I guess if she and a member of admin are close, she might confide in them. Otherwise, why??? Why would someone bring their personal issues, etc. to work and discuss them with their employer? Boundaries. If she's breaking down at school, then she needs to go on medical leave.

DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If she has a close relationship with her administrator, it might be worth sharing. I've given my admin a heads-up when something was going on in my life, just so she'd know if I needed a day off or had to step out of a meeting to take a phone call or something. I think that's just professional courtesy. Something of this nature, though, is very very private. I'm not sure I would want to dump that on admin, nor would I want to be talked into doing so by my counselor. If this is something very recent, she could just say she is dealing with a medical issue and needs to take couple weeks off. Some therapy, rest, and self-care will help her be better ready to return to work.