The VENT

Should I be worried?!

>

Miami_Queen

Miami_Queen

Should I be worried?!
Old 03-14-2019, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Eight of my firsties are still sounding out words. I understand them sounding words out, once they have learned a new sound in phonocs. But they literally sound majority of the words out. They also donít recognize their sight words. What do I need to do to help them? Please help!

Summerwillcom

You need to maybe practice
Old 03-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

hooking with them more. OK That sounds weird. Anyone w/a better word for hooking? lol
Also, I'd get out flashcards and start focusing on making sure they get those sight words.
Old Dr Suess books and the Bernstein Bear books that rhyme ( make sure they are the rhyming ones)
are really good ways for kids to practice those sight words as well as reading more fluently at that age.
Best wishes!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 03-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't teach 1st, but If they're still doing that in 2nd grade, I have them work on phrase reading, Super Speed Reader from Whole Brain Teaching, practicing a fluency passage 2 or 3 times in a week to improve speed, echo reading, and as much one-on-one as I can manage.

Some students get the idea that they are supposed to read extremely carefully and they may be stuck on sounding out even if they are able to read more fluently. By doing some of the approaches I mentioned above, the students sort themselves out into those who are just in a rut, but capable, and those who truly need more interventions.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 03-15-2019, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a third grader last year that did that. Holy crow I didnt know what to do with a kid in third grade who still blended every word letter by letter (not even seeing common digraphs and diphthongs, bush was b/u/s/h/ and catch was c/a/t/c/h/).

I spent a lot of time on the chunking strategy rather than blending letter by letter-just listening to him read like that in third grade was like nails on a chalk board. He was given all markable decodables and some highlighters and he had to find all the "chunks" before reading. then he found al the site words and underlined them all in blue. After a while he got more automatic with it and read with less blending and more automatically. He still left me LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW with a stack of paper work and recommendation to have him tested ASAP as all the ground work had been laid.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote