The VENT

Do good classes have bad days?

>

MsTreble

Do good classes have bad days?
Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In short, I'm feeling defeated.
I'm dealing with a large class that has a couple of distracting students. Overall, the students are fine but lately some have been more goofy than usual just to get each other to laugh. I'm not a fan of constantly redirecting at this level (high school) so it's becoming irritating. I'm not on here to get lesson or management tips since I know about those and will put them in place next. I want adult advice that deals with my own actions, like not taking it personally, taking a moment to breath. I'm not at the point of feeling overwhelmed but I don't want it to get there either.

Thanks for letting me vent.

MsTreble is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-11-2020, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I find this a very tough time of the year. I teach Upper Elementary. You don't say where you are, but January and February are rough for us. They're just coming back from Christmas break. We are having constant disruptions with snow days or delays or PD days. We have strep. , flu a, flu B, fever, stomach bug, and regular colds running rampant through our building, so kids are missing many days. Several days it is either below 15 degrees or raining so they can't go out for recess. The behavior has certainly gone downhill and it's hard to get any momentum. Luckily, we have 1.5 weeks left until we have our February week-long break. :-)
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-11-2020, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good classes have bad days. Bad classes have good days.

Kids get out of routine with illness and snow days. Weather is yucky. We are stuck inside too much. Iíve always thought the third grading period was always the worst.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Shavaun

Shavaun

Old 02-12-2020, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At the end of the day, kids will always be kids and stuff like that are bound to happen no matter the school or class. As it relates to how you can manage this situation yourself the only thing I can say is to try your best not to take it personally due to the fact the student probably wasn't intentionally trying to disturb you or the class.

Lakeside

bad days
Old 02-13-2020, 03:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

YES, good classes have bad days!

I find certain times (right before Christmas, the end of January/beginning of February, mid April, and end of year) are especially prone to them.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

No one is "on" all the time.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We all have bad days. We all have days when we're feeling goofy, feisty, cranky, etc.
Kids are the same way - especially high school kids.
I would ignore the behavior, and see if it goes away. Or go over expectations, consequences.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote