Correct This Now

>

Stevejay

Stevejay

Correct This Now
Old 02-14-2020, 11:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Lately I've been getting classes whereby the teacher leaves directions
for me to correct their papers for the day. This is for one day assignments. That's okay if I have time to correct a stack or two. Quite often we are so busy the entire day, there is no time left to do this. In the past, I have corrected some of them or an entire stack if time allowed, then I left a note on how much I was able to correct. Sometimes I think some teachers try to take advantage of subs. I remind them of the limited number of substitute hours for the day. It seems that teachers who were once subs don't always have this request. When I taught full time, I rarely had subs do this. Or, when I did,
the workload was reasonable, like a small stack of papers without too many problems on them. I mean, subs should be able to take their lunches without correcting papers. Do you have thoughts on this?

Ima Teacher

Old 02-15-2020, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I generally do not leave work to be graded because I am checking for mastery and need to see what kinds of mistakes students are making. However, if I do leave work to be corrected, it needs to be done. For instance, I had an assignment that needed correcting in order for the following dayís assignment to get done. I lost instructional time the following day due to this.

Usually I just want work taken up and a check mark on the grade sheet if a student turned it in.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Depends on the teacher
Old 02-15-2020, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I generally don't see many requests to correct - unless it's "correct together and send home". I do make an effort to organize anything that's turned in, and if the prep period is near the end of the day, I'll try to look over things like math so I can leave a better note about what they "got" and didn't. But I don't put anything in the grade book unless directly asked, and I'm not really comfortable correcting writing assignments - I feel like you've got to know the students in order to do that helpfully.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-15-2020, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was a teacher I can't even imagine telling a sub to grade papers. Not everything has to be graded, and an assignment given when there is a sub would certainly fall into that category.

That sounds almost ridiculous to me. How can you supervise the students if you are grading papers? How do you know the sub didn't allow cheating?

I have never thought, nor heard, of a teacher doing this. Sounds really weird, to me. Most people on here sub for elementary, so, again, maybe that is why. I think high school might be a totally different world.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This question used to come up frequently, but not as often these days. Ima Teacher, I really don't mind putting a check on a sheet if an assignment is turned in. That's a reasonable request.

At one time, there was the expectation in some schools that subs would correct papers. One of my schools, in fact, used to have a form for subs to complete at the end of the day, and one of the questions was, "Did you correct papers?" I'd usually reply, "Does not apply." Another school had a list of expectations for the sub, and one of them was "correct student papers."

If there's a prep, the papers aren't difficult to grade, and there's an answer key, I honestly don't mind. Sadly, though, a few teachers do take advantage of subs. I once had to grade a sixth grade short answer social studies test with no answer key. Another teacher helped come up with acceptable answers, but that never should have happened. Then, there was a first grade teacher who left me with a large pile of papers to correct and pass back. There was no guidance on how she wanted them scored. In order to get the job done, I had to work straight through the lunch and prep periods, and barely finished. She's a nice person, but I've never seen her correct papers during her lunch period.

In my opinion, one of the hardest things to grade is an analog clock paper. A time is given (perhaps 3:40), and children are asked to draw the hands on the clock. When the clocks are small, children seldom put the hour hand exactly in the right place. How much leeway should be given? An answer that's acceptable to one teacher might not be acceptable to another, and it's hard for a sub to know.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 02-15-2020, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I rarely if ever leave work to be corrected. I need to be the one correcting, so that I have a solid grasp on what the students are and are not understanding. That being said, like Ima if I leave it, I need it done because for some unforeseen reason itís imperative that I have that grade ASAP.

Now, when I was subbing. I did want the teacher to leave me something, anything during my prep because most schools in my district would, other than lunch time, pull me to do something else if I was not occupied working for the teacher during prep. Iíd end up on duty or covering another class, etc. unless I was busy when they walked in to ask me. The logic given to me by one secretary was that teachers did not get breaks, they got preps. Obviously, not understanding that subs need peeps too. Itís a chance to figure out what youíve accomplished and whatís coming next as well as start leave any notes you may need to leave for the teacher.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-15-2020, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If the kids leave at 2:30 and I'm there until 3 I will correct papers if asked. Sometimes I'll be asked to correct papers while students are at PE. It's all work time. I won't do it at lunch. But I don't mind correcting them and I like to help out the teachers who request me. A jr. hi. teacher knows I want something to do during the day so she will leave tests for me to correct. I'll do what I can but won't kill myself to get them all done. I don't mind it so much unless I have to correct short answer questions that are ambiguous. Then I'll leave a note that I didn't correct #12 or something like that.

However, I agree that if there is no time then that's it, and leave a note.
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

I rarely
Old 02-16-2020, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I rarely have that happen, but the one that gets me is teachers who expect you to give up your quiet lunch to allow students to hang out in their room or there is a club meeting they did not tell you about.😡
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Tasks
Old 02-16-2020, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iíve heard that some subs like to have something to do during what would be a teacherís prep or an SSR type of time during the day... but I donít ever ask anyone to do that. Mostly, I just prefer to do it myself! A lot of teachers just have ďsystemsĒ that work for them!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-17-2020, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I will correct papers if I have the time. If a school is short subs, other subs are the first to be assigned coverage. Frequently the only break I get is lunch, and sometimes not even that.

I taught for 12 years and never had a sub correct papers.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Sometimes I think some teachers try to take advantage of subs. I remind them of the limited number of substitute hours for the day. It seems that teachers who were once subs don't always have this request. When I taught full time, I rarely had subs do this. Or, when I did,
the workload was reasonable, like a small stack of papers without too many problems on them. I mean, subs should be able to take their lunches without correcting papers. Do you have thoughts on this?
Fortunately, I rarely get papers to correct. Since I am a substitute teacher for lower elementary grades, I have to do recess duty and seldom have downtime or a "prep" period. It's hard enough finding time for a restroom break! Being asked to correct papers puts a huge squeeze on my time unless there's a reprieve (such as the kids are with the Art or PE teacher).

As someone else mentioned, substitute teachers do not work the same hours as the full-time teachers. We have to wait till the office opens to pick up the key and get into the classroom, and we have to drop the key off and leave before the office closes. We are not salaried. We are only paid for the scheduled hours, not for any overtime. So unless the teacher knows the sub will have a prep period, adding extra work can be unreasonable.

That said, when I have had papers to correct, I've typically encountered problems, such as no answer key and subjective material (such as written response items). I've also been left with papers to correct when my day is already jam packed, with no spare time! I have had situations where I corrected papers during my lunch time because there was no other way to get it done! I won't do that again!

Yes, there are a few teachers who seem to regard substitute teachers as "hired help" that they can pile work on. That's a good way to ensure they won't easily get subs! I work hard as a sub and like to stay busy, but it's up to the full-time teachers to be sensible and not make unreasonable demands!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-18-2020 at 04:28 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-20-2020, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Ive had one teacher that left me with a stack of papers to grade, materials to change a bulletin board and to punch out letters. I had hardly enough time on my break to go to the bathroom. When I see her name pop up needed a sub, I no longer accept her jobs.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-20-2020, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a teacher that will leave a crazy amount of work to be done on her 30 minute library prep. Mind you the library is on the other side of campus and a five minute walk both to drop off and pick up. I get what I can done and donít worry about the rest. She keeps calling me, so I guess sheís ok with it. I guess if you donít ask, you donít get.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 02-21-2020, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Interesting discussion... I would distinguish between correcting and grading. I've never been asked to grade. I think "correcting" goes with the territory, at least informally. But I can't ever recall being left a stack of papers to correct... mostly it's correcting work as we go or correcting together. In some cases, the kids can't move on to the next lesson (say, in a workbook). I've never had what I'd consider an unreasonable request. I'm paid for the day, not by the hour so I don't mind staying for a few minutes to finish up and leave the teacher organized piles with sticky notes of explanation.

I find I can usually keep up with the day's work... and have never felt like I was given an unreasonable request. My goal as a sub is to not leave the teacher and kids further behind as a result of my day.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote