The VENT

Teacher of the Year

>

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

Teacher of the Year
Old 02-16-2020, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is a vent and it is not nice. I need to "say" it somewhere and PT just happened to be the place.

I don't know who needs to hear this but Teacher of the Year doesn't always mean that you're actually a good teacher.

2teach2

Old 02-16-2020, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree! It sometimes looks more like a popularity contest.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 02-17-2020, 01:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I so agree. Once had a teacher in my building, talk to the parents of her students and encourage them to vote for her. Yes, she won in the district that year. All of her students were always successful academically (read sarcasm here) based on her verbal and written comments. Guess whose students were the ones who struggled the most? Guess who never had any students with any issues? Guess who looked down on all of the other teachers in the building? Teacher of the year, I think not! Self-centered and arrogant, I think so.
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

say...
Old 02-17-2020, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

" I need to "say" it somewhere and PT just happened to be the place."

I really do not know how we ever made it through the day, week, month, or year in the olden days before ProTeacher! This truly is a safe place to find resources, help, and support.

As to Teacher of the Year, sometimes they get it right but at other times soooo wrong!
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Teacher of the Year
Old 02-17-2020, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank goodness we didn't have teacher of the year at schools where I taught.

My school system does teacher of the year, however. It is one of the biggest districts in the country, so it it is quite the honor to be picked.

A teacher I worked with was one of the three finalists a while back but, thankfully, didn't get picked. She was one of the nastiest, most self absorbed people I ever worked with during my 25 years. She was a good teacher, but there was nothing outstanding about her.

She was nominated because a person with lots of connections in the district pushed for her. The whole thing was just ridiculous.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-18-2020 at 03:27 AM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Never participated
Old 02-17-2020, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

before my own school started teacher of the year, my best friend's school did it. She was an excellent teacher and was honored with the teacher of the year award one year, but her P came to her and said the administration would not award it to her because some of the parents would not like it.(this was crazy and nonsense. She was a white teacher in an almost all black community, and the parents loved her. Administration considered incorrectly that some parents were racist)
When it came to my school, I just explained I would not be playing. I saw it awarded to really deserving teachers and also to other teachers. Some of the reasons were-she is retiring and it would be a nice send off, we are voting for this teacher only because we don't want the other teacher to win, this teacher wants/needs it on her resume, and equally silly reasons. A few of those who were given this award were really not good teachers at all, which is astounding because on the whole we have an excellent teaching staff.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Sorrynotsorry
Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Agreed. I also think there are many teachers who are performing mini miracles who never get recognized because administrators seem to have a very narrow concept of what an "effective" teacher is. I've never been a fan of awards like this because it seems to make other teachers feel devalued. Not to sound like one of those everybody deserves a trophy type of people but you know... hopefully you know what I mean.
Violet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Old 02-17-2020, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It is a popularity contest. And who can be buddy-buddy with the administrators and teachers.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 02-17-2020, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I totally agree with this statement. From what I’ve seen, it’s the popular teacher who gets it.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-18-2020, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So true!

We have a teacher who won "County Teacher of the Year" a few years ago.

She is a hot mess all the time! When she works with buddy classes, she always has to "make an important phone call" and disappears for 30 minutes, leaving the other teacher alone with all of the kids.

She teaches the grade following mine and every year I have to listen to requests for students NOT being in her class every year.

She is always complaining about the students she gets every year.

choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 02-18-2020, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes. It's about popularity and connections and who will actively campaign for it. And, depending on who is sponsoring it, to me it tends to come off as "No, we don't want to pay taxes so that teachers can actually have good wages and benefits and no, we aren't going to quit blaming all the ills of society on you but, here: we'll sponsor this ridiculous little award because we think you're dumb enough to believe it means we value you."
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-18-2020, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I hate putting teachers in competition with each other. It's just a popularity contest. Plus we had to sit through an assembly at the end of the year for the winner to be announced. A big waste of time!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Yes
Old 02-18-2020, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It does seem like a popularity contest. Sometimes the school does get it right.
A friend at another school and district told me what they did. They picked the same teacher for 2 years in a row. Why? Because there is a ton of work when you become Teacher of the Year. She said that there is portfolio/essay to complete for the district and it was easier for everyone at school.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I agree.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I heard one TOY nominee call a student stupid.

We've had some worthy candidates in the past, but we've also had some who were just good friends of the principal.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Agree
Old 02-19-2020, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I couldn't agree more! Ugghhhh
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
sipsip7777

sipsip7777

teach of the year
Old 02-20-2020, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I agree. We had one in our school who the former principal and pals nominated. Creative yes, but wildly inappropriate at times (parents complained) and quite lazy. I was new to the school when I found out he had won this award for the state, I couldn't believe it. Only wanted to do the things he wanted to do....got away with it for years. He would say, "...I was teacher of the year and ....." Ugh.

ReeseTeacher

Old 02-24-2020, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I hate "Teacher of the Year" and such. Imagine how different teaching would be if instead of putting teachers against each other, we helped each other instead? If someone else's success equaled success for all? Then silly awards like "teacher of the year" wouldn't be neccessary and all teachers would have the opportunity to feel appreciated.

One thing I hated at my old school is the attitude that "If you are doing something well, it means I'm doing badly. If I'm doing something well, it must mean you are doing badly." I had a teacher in my grade that would do all she could to throw other teachers under the bus - talk bad about them behind their backs to other teachers, the admin, etc. When I was offered a leadership position in my grade level, during our first meeting she went off on me about how I wasn't qualified for it like she was and it was awful that admin gave it to me instead. Then she refused to participate in the meetings and gave me a bad peer review. The job is hard enough without all of this, we need to support each other.

We need to act like a success for another teacher is a success for you as well. And celebrate each other. And when we are struggling, help them without putting them down or making yourself feel superior.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote