The VENT

Flu at school!

>

Flubber 2.0

Flubber 2.0

Flu at school!
Old 02-18-2020, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got an email today from a parent telling me that their child has influenza B! This is the strand that has been the cause of death for so many young people. I think in this day in age we take the flu for granted despite the staggering statistics of deaths caused by the flu. After learning about this student this morning, I had two others go home sick. I am just curious, should parents be made aware of confirmed cases of influenza-B? I wouldn’t send out a notice personally, but should the school admin or nurse?

TeacherPK6

Old 02-19-2020, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yikes! I would definitely sanitize/ask the custodian to sanitize your room with so many students ill. I'm not sure about letting parents know about specific diagnosis (might be good to check with your P or nurse). I do know that sometimes my school has sent out letters saying we've had lots of illnesses lately/it's flu season or whatever, and reminding parents to keep their kids home if they have a fever or vomiting. It's only but so effective.

I hope you're able to stay healthy!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

flu
Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with asking the custodian for a deep clean.

And I think the nurse could probably send out a general communication that there has been flu in the school. That wouldn't name any names, but I think parents would be more likely to take sick kids to the doctor right away rather than taking a wait-and-see approach.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-19-2020, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have certain diseases that a mandatory notice is sent, from the principal. Flu is not one of them, which I can’t understand. Ask for a deep cleaning. During flu season, I have students go over their desktops, tabletops and chairs everyday with a Clorox wipe.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

B is not as severe
Old 02-19-2020, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a couple of students with type B flu and it only lasted a few days and is less severe than type A- more like a bad cold. Not fun, but not anything to panic about.

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 02-19-2020, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I disagree that parents should be informed. It seems like a given that students will be exposed to the flu during flu season. Every year I have students who get it. My own child got Type B flu, despite having had the flu shot. People can be contagious a day before they show symptoms, so there really is no way to prevent exposure if you leave your house.

You are at risk if you go to the grocery store, Wal-Mart, church, and other public places.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote