Help

The VENT

Everyone is tired

>

hikinghiker

Everyone is tired
Old 02-20-2020, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm tired. The kids are tired. We didn't have school on Monday due to presidents day and it really didn't help. The kids are all fine. A little squirrely perhaps, but that's Kindergarten for you. But we are all so tired.

I've gone to the computer lab every day this week and will go again today. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is. We were so tired I ended up doing writing outside with them too just to wake them up and excite them a little bit and keep myself from falling asleep. Last night I got home, made myself dinner, then took a nap on the couch from 4-6.

Any tips or advice to get through these next two days? To make it even worse, my printer jammed and I can't fix it so I need to wait until next week for IT to come in. So no fun crafts or anything, I'm limited to materials I already have in the classroom.

Anyone else exhausted this week?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 02-20-2020, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teacher K also and the district extended our day by 30 minutes. All the kindergarten students are struggling near the end of the day. It has been rough.
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Everyone is tired
Old 02-20-2020, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím retired now, but I remember those days when I taught kinder. I got inventive about where the learning took place. Like you, I took them outside to do some noticings for writing, or to look for birds and bugs (and pretend we were doing science), walked the school campus and drew maps back in the room, and some days there would be extended time with manipulatives, puzzles, the art box, etc.

The art box was a big, grey busboy pan. I would toss in construction paper scraps from art projects, leftover doo dads, ribbon, anything that could be glued or cut or drawn on. It could keep a group entertained for at least an hour.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A suggestion
Old 02-20-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

read them some books that lend themselves to a slight change that can be used as a writing prompt. Have the student each write and illustrate one page and assemble them into a book for the class library. You can have them repeat their written "story" for the page and write it under or above their writing. Explain that the way they've written is fine and shows all the sounds they hear in the words, but the dictionary spells it differently and you'll write that way down for other people. I assume you are encouraging invented spelling.

Some books that work for this:

I Went Walking

Mary Wore Her Red Dress

10 Black Dots
(the pages don't need to rhyme, it's best to assign the number of dots to
various children. Black sticker dots or other colors make it fun, too)

A House is a House For Me

The Important Book
(Children write only "The important thing about ____
is ___. " And that can be written on the board to copy.)

Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See
( Brainstorm zoo animals, ocean animals, toy animals, etc. so they don't
repeat the original book's contents. You add the intro sentence from
each prior page to tie the book together when assembling it.

Use the books for a few read alouds and make them available for the children to read for themselves.

This is a tiring time of year with Spring Break very far away and end of year just becoming visible and looming. This reminds me of a teaching cycle I've used with newer teachers. Although addressed to first year teachers, I find it pretty well reflects experienced teachers as well, just to a less drastic extent.
Since this is rather like a first year for you in a new setting with, I think, a new grade and you started later in the year, you may find it has some value.
http://weac.org/articles/new-teacher-handbook/phases/

I also find it useful to do a "reality check" with a few other teachers: are your kids crazy today? do your students seems very tired? etc. Usually other classes are experiencing the same thing and it makes you feel not so different.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-20-2020, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's been a tough couple of last weeks. We have had several snow days and delays and a PD day and lots of kids out sick for several days at a time. Our only saving grace is we are off next week. The kids are super squirrelly and the behaviors are not great :-(

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-20-2020, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was so fed up this week that I took a mental health day yesterday. I felt somewhat guilty taking one literally two days after a 3 day weekend, but I just could not stand the idea of continuing through the rest of the week. Luckily next week is conferences and that means only 3 days with students plus an entire day off on Friday.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-20-2020, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach 2nd and my class has been overly active this month...so I incorporated a 20 min. station during my math block called "creation station".

I had parents send in lids, empty containers, egg cartons, etc. and the kids get to visit the station 1x per week and create things using their imagination. They LOVE it and it has helped out immensely. Just having 4-5 kids who are happy, actively engaged, and whom I don't have to remind to "stay on task" has made a world of difference. I work with 4-5, leaving only about 10 kids doing other math stations. The smaller numbers really help.

I am a big believer in that kids need time to use their imagination and be allowed to create and be creative. Luckily, my P believes so, too. Plus 20 min. per week isn't holding them back from what we are learning in math, otherwise.

I also find just switching things up slightly helped! My teammates moved math to the morning, reading to the afternoon because their kids have been wonky. I didn't need to do that since I initiated creation station. But, I have done so in the past.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Tired Kinders
Old 02-20-2020, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

These are all great ideas!!

When you mentioned no printer, I also thought about "the longest picture in the world" (from the Ramona books). All you'd need to do is tape a lot of blank sheets of paper together. The kids cooperate to draw a picture of their state/town/whatever.

You can toss in all sorts of "curriculum-y" things, like:
- must include the following shapes... (they can pick out of a bag)
- each student must label one thing in the picture

but they just think it's fun.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Tired
Old 02-20-2020, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, Iím tired and so are my students. I stopped our computer assignments this afternoon when I noticed many heads on desks and requests to use to restroom. We ALL needed some fresh air. So outside we went. We laughed and ran! It felt so good. Then we came in to finish our assignments, which I shortened and students happily finished.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 02-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I feel ya.

I'm recovering from pneumonia (a little over three weeks ago) and I am sooooo tired all the time. It isn't even just from school- I'm exhausted weekends too. I was at church yesterday and almost fell asleep (I love church so this is unusual for me).

I also have a terrible mattress that sags really bad. I just bought a new one but it won't be here til Wednesday. It's to the point I can't sleep on it. Thinking of sleeping on the floor til Wednesday! I'm getting almost no sleep.

ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote