Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What happened ...

>

Sprite

What happened ...
Old 02-22-2020, 03:19 AM

I’ve been having terrible pain at night in my back and legs. I spoke to my doctor about this and he recommended I get some Cbd/thc cream or edibles like gummies or chocolates. Weed just legalized in my state and I figured it’s just a cream why not.

I got the cream and tried it for the last 2 weeks. I put it on my back and calves after a bath at night. It seemed to help me not night restless and calm my legs.

I ran out of the cream and my DH went back and tried to get me some
more. They didn’t have any cream so he got me a chocolate that has the same ratio of Cbd/thc. I took one and about 2 hours later...

I felt completely drunk. I was laughing about everything. I felt completely out of it and confused. Then I started getting scared. Because I was scared I started having terrible panic attacks. This was the worst experience of my life. I fell asleep and just woke because my phone went off. It’s been about 4-5 hours and now I have a horrible headache. I can’t believe this happened. I feel like a fool and now I feel completely frustrated at my doctor for suggesting this stuff. He suggested thc edibles or cream and I’m really upset because I felt completely different and unsafe and now I have a terrible headache.

Has this happened to anyone before? I was never against pot before and now after this happened think it should not be legal... and doctors should NOT be recommending it. I still don’t feel 100% and definitely have a bad headache. If I’d been home alone I’d have been in bad shape. It was way worse than being extremely drunk in college.

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-22-2020, 03:42 AM

I'm so sorry you experienced that! Too much THC can be very uncomfortable. It's like the Wild West out there with respect to "legalization" of marijuana products. Since consumer information is limited, it is important for the consumer to do some reading to understand what you are taking and how it might affect you.

Sounds like this was a dosage issue. Often edibles contain a large dose, and you are only supposed to eat a tiny amount (especially if you are unaccustomed to using pot). Always with psychoactive meds, start low and slow. You got a big overdose of THC, because it isn't the ratio of THC/CBD so much as the actual amount of THC that determines your response.

There is not enough patient and physician education on this subject. Marijuana derivatives can be very beneficial for certain problems, but dosing guidelines do not exist (except for a CBD product that has been approved by the FDA for certain types of seizures in children).

We need federal laws to change so these products can be regulated more. Like supplements, regulation of labeling and dosing is minimal, and you are on your own figuring out which products have honest labels and what doses might be effective.

Meanwhile, I suggest you go back to the cream, since that worked for you...and try to keep a reserve amount at home so you don't have a supply issue. If you must try an edible, just a little nibble may be enough. You can regulate dosage better by getting a solution that has the dosage per drop on the label. Start with one or two drops, see if/how that affects you, and work up over time to a dose that helps your symptoms without making you uncomfortably high.

Medical marijuana was very helpful for my husband when he was dying of cancer, and my grandson uses CBD to regulate his seizures. I believe it should be legal on the federal level, there should be extensive research (not permitted now because of federal legal status), and there should be better education for patients and physicians. Doctors who suggest this now should be prepared to offer careful and specific dosing suggestions.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 02-22-2020, 06:38 AM

OMG... That sounds so scary! I hope you're head ache goes away quickly and you should def tell your dr what happened and maybe print what Lisa wrote and give it to him. Sounds like she knows a lot more than your dr knows.

A while back my dh and I found a joint that my boys hid in the garage.. We took it and decided that one day we'd smoke it (the old days..haha) So that day came and we smoked it and we were so so so high that it was scary. Pot was not like that back in the 70's, that's for sure!!
BTW... of course they never asked us if we took their weed! lol
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-22-2020, 07:07 AM

I also use a cream on my joints for pain, stiffness and inflammation and find that it helps and while a doctor didnít recommend it to me like yours did in your case I did decide to try a piece of chocolate almost as a joke when I was picking up my cream. I had smoked when I was younger so surely this wouldnít be a shocker and I was just going to have a small square from A chocolate bar so surely it would be fine. Just a calming effect so I would sleep well.

Well, like you I learned the hard way that edibles are something else entirely. I never had any effect from the cream-I did expect a small effect From the candy but not a big one but it was in fact much stronger and had a longer lasting effect than I expected and I was wasted and not just calm and sleepy.

I later watched a documentary on Netflix about edibles that explained it. Your body reacts differently to edibles than to inhaled thc and dosing can be inconsistent in edibles and a tiny bit goes long way. I suspect that I would have been happier with 1/2 or 1/4 a square for the calming effect I was after since edibles are so concentrated but really Iíll just pass.

Unlike you I didnít have a change in opinion about safety and legality-it helps people and that is data backed and it has been successfully used medicinally for thousands of years BUT we need to remember to educate ourselves before taking anything since uninformed use or misuse of even the safest products can have negative side effects or poor outcomes.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Meds
Old 02-22-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I was never against pot before and now after this happened think it should not be legal... and doctors should NOT be recommending it

I’m sorry that you had a bad experience,

All drugs and medication have side effects and affect everyone differently.

When doctors suggest and/or prescribe medication, they never give a 100% guarantee it will work for that specific person. Most times doctors say “Try it & see how it works”

I don’t think marijuana should be illegal & I think doctors should recommend, because some people have a positive experience.

Individuals should be able to choose what works best for him/her.

Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-22-2020, 08:24 AM

I will add one other thing for your information. There are two common species of cannabis: indica and sativa. We older folks may be familiar with the latter if we were youthful experimenters. The high is more mellow...the first one can really knock you on your backside!

Remember these are natural plant products and, while CBD is not psychoactive, there are other cannabinoids that may be present in variable amounts that are.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

CBC, etc.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:36 AM

What Lisa said. You need a small dosage, probably 2.5. The problem with edibles is if the ingredients arenít thoroughly mixed, you get one gummy that is mold and another that is potent.

I would recommend asking around for recommendations on dispensaries.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 02-22-2020, 08:37 AM

Iím so sorry you had such a bad experience. Panic attacks are awful.

Youíre edible had THC. The doctor recommended CBD. Iíd stock up on the cream, and if necessary to buy edibles would make sure that they were CBD and not THC.

Personally, I think marijuana should be legal period. Although like with any substance, you need to be aware of your own limits. We arenít going to go back to prohibition because someone got drunk and hungover. I also hope that more doctors recommend it. Used correctly, it has far fewer side effects than a lot of the pharmaceuticals we have pushed at us in most doctorís offices.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 02-22-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Youíre edible had THC. The doctor recommended CBD. Iíd stock up on the cream, and if necessary to buy edibles would make sure that they were CBD and not THC.
No, my doctor recommended a combination of thc and Cbd. The cream was a combination of the same ratio as this edible chocolate.

I looked back and the candy was a 2.5 mg dose. However, I am learning more about the psychological effects are intense with edibles. Iím shocked at how I still donít feel 100%.

Iím shocked this happened to me and Iím so upset. Honestly, Iíve never had something this scary happen to me. My brother has been a pot user for literally 15 years and heís never had an experience like this.

I donít even remember everything that happened. Very frightening experience. Never again for me.

sonoma

Old 02-22-2020, 09:36 AM

CBD is the chemical that helps pain.

THC is the chemical that gives you a high. Edibles are extremely concentrated. You experienced a very normal high. Headache should go away in about two days. I find it very unusual for a doctor to recommend edibles for pain.

You might want to change to another dispensary. A reputable dispensary should have told your husband that edibles and CBD cream are not interchangeable.

If weed was recently legalized in your state you likely have a lot of inexperienced people opening dispensaries to make a quick buck.

I use a CBD lotion that has no THC. Since it is so expensive I mix a little of it with regular body lotion.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

2.5??
Old 02-22-2020, 09:39 AM

The edible was 2.5 mg of what?

cvt

Old 02-22-2020, 10:53 AM

I am very sorry about your bad experience. It must have been scary not understanding what was happening.

I don't blame your doctor for prescribing CBD/THC edibles/cream since it has helped many people with their problems. I do blame the place that sold your husband the chocolate. They should have informed him of all the possible risks and reactions from taking edibles since he was obviously a novice in their store. As PPs have said, find a reputable and responsible establishment and also educate yourselves about the substances.

Quote:
All drugs and medication have side effects and affect everyone differently.
Yes, I know people who have had terrible reactions to pharmaceuticals.

Quote:
I donít think marijuana should be illegal & I think doctors should recommend, because some people have a positive experience.
Individuals should be able to choose what works best for him/her.
I agree. If used at the proper dose, it can be quite beneficial. Plenty of my contemporaries who are suffering debilitating diseases or conditions find that marijuana can ease their pain without the terribly addicting side effects of pharmaceutical medications.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 02-22-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
CBD is the chemical that helps pain.

THC is the chemical that gives you a high. Edibles are extremely concentrated. You experienced a very normal high. Headache should go away in about two days. I find it very unusual for a doctor to recommend edibles for pain.
Why do you find it unusual the doctor recommended it for pain?

They literally wrote it all down for me and had it broken down into categories of what to take and the kinds.

I started with the cream thinking it was gentle.. just being a cream and all.

Iím going to go dig up the paper notes I have. Definitely recommended edibles and thc. Not just Cbd oil and cream.

EllaKate

Old 02-22-2020, 12:30 PM

Wow, that's scary!

I've only taken CBD oil for my knees. I've never used the cream or any edible. I have never in my life smoked weed and have no desire to. The problem is that too many places are opening up and may not be regulated as to what they are selling.

I saw an episode of Live:PD once where the kid bought CBD oil - turns out it had THC in it and he was arrested as his state hadn't legalized it. I actually felt bad for him.

Mom23Kids:

Another funny: When DH was in the hospital a few years ago his Dr. prescribed a marijuana pill so he would eat as he had no appetite. All it did was make him sleep, thus he wasn't eating, so it was worthless. Our DS's joked that he was going to get his card.

Hoping you feel better soon.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

sprite re doctor/edibles
Old 02-22-2020, 01:49 PM

I find it unusual because with an edible you are taking something internally and because THC is not FDA controlled there is no way of knowing how potent it is.

Ima Teacher

Old 02-22-2020, 03:16 PM

I use hemp oil gummies to help with my restless legs. There is no THC in the ones I use. It is not legal in my state. Iíve been very happy with the hemp oil for joint pain.

Everything comes with some risk of side effects, so I wouldnít be mad at the doctor.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Thc
Old 02-23-2020, 08:01 AM

There are 2 types of THC. One ramps you up, one calms. Make sure you get the right kind.
Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote