Help

The VENT

I see red flags after a job interview

>

iloveglitter2

I see red flags after a job interview
Old 02-22-2020, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I work in a very crappy school district. I had a job interview yesterday in another state in a city I wanted to work in. The interview was typical, then I asked questions. One of my questions was what is the greatest challenge facing the district. I was fielding for budget issues (laid off 4th straight year so it is a concern), student behavior,..... But their response was "We hire the best teachers there are. But we push them out the door. We are seeking a new superintendent to help us address this." Other responses were not this frank but I felt like this woman was being honest with me. There are reasons why they have these openings.

I am laid off after this school year for the 4th straight time. I am currently working in a horrible school in aa crappy district. I am just so upset and concerned with finding something in a good environment.

iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 02-22-2020, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At least the interviewer was being honest. They know there is a problem and they are seeking to address it. I don't have any advice for you but I wish you luck.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 02-22-2020, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe it could be a good thing? Like in the sense of they know itís an issue that is affecting their teachers, and they care enough to fix it?

Good luck! Iím currently getting out from a toxic environment, and itís scary as hell trying not to end up in another one!
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Red flag
Old 02-22-2020, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Itís a red flag but sounds like theyíre trying to address it. Will there be a new superintendent by next school year? If so, I would take the job if offered.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 02-22-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Itís a bit of a red flag but admitting itís a problem means that principal will be actively working toward fixing it. I would try to dig more. Do you know anyone that works in the district in question?

TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 02-22-2020, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wouldn't want to work there. It sounds like there is some upheaval going on, and I would have no desire to be part of it.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-22-2020 at 06:20 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-22-2020, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

IDK, that seems like a pretty big red flag to me. What does that even mean, exactly? They non-renew people? The work load is too much? People just aren't happy there? And how specifically would a new superintendent address this?

I previously worked in a district with extremely high turnover. I was hired in early spring and didn't realize exactly how bad it was, as there weren't as many postings when I got hired. When I started, there was a new super and a new P and I was told it was a "great time to start in the district" and that "things would be changing." To avoid writing a novel here, I'll just say it's a dumpster fire and I'm sometimes amazed I got out of there relatively unscathed/was able to go on to a successful career in another district. It's been 7 years now since I was there, they've gone through a host of other leadership changes, and they've now been taken over by the state.

For me personally, this would probably be too big of a red flag, especially since it's only February and there is a ton of time left to get another job. If it were August, I might say go for it and hope they're right about making the changes. This early in the game, I'd seek a position that you doesn't have major red flags.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 02-22-2020, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Who made the comment? Was it the principal or a teacher on a hiring panel? If it was a teacher, I'd have to wonder whether she has a good friend leaving and is bitter about it.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Uh...
Old 02-22-2020, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes you are absolutely right. Red flag. Not just a red flag, actually,..a red flag on fire. What do they even mean by the ďbest teachersĒ? Teachers who will allow excessive workloads and poor treatment by admin? Pushing them out the door? That sounds very hostile and just poor people skills honestly. They could have phrased all of that in a much more productive and professional way. Do NOT take that position.
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Do some investigating
Old 02-22-2020, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If there is a second interview, Iíd take it and ask for clarification. See if there are any teachers you could talk to.

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 02-22-2020, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

They will do callbacks for those making it to round 2 next month.

It is a great district for the most part. But I think they currently have a superintendent that has brought about a toxic environment.
iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-22-2020, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't even know what that means? Is she saying there is big turnover because people are unhappy, or that they actively try to get rid of teachers?

Did you follow up and ask what that mean? I would have! It could definitely be a red flag. Or, as others have said, it could be a good sign that they are actively trying to better retain new teachers.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote