Help

BusyBoard

How do you rejuvenate over summer?

>

Daphne333

How do you rejuvenate over summer?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need tips. I've had a hard 3 years in a row. This last year really did me in. I have no desire for teaching anymore. I have 0 patients anymore. I'm hoping this summer will help. What do you do to restore your passion over the summer?

Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 06-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sleep late. See friends. Read. Exercise. And best of all a good vacation out of town.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Rejuvenate
Old 06-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Make a list of 5 things you always say you want to,do, but canít because of school. Small,things like a special museum, or a really good mani pedi, or an art exhibit, or a trip two,towns over, or something in your home to accomplish.

Then go do them.

My first week, I did a lot of nothing
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I always spent
Old 06-12-2019, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

a lot of time outdoors enjoying the beautiful summer weather. I gardened, hiked and was able to connect with friends. For three summers I volunteered one morning a week at a local arboretum and loved it. Those plants never talked back to me!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Rest
Old 06-12-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Remember to take care of you first and it is okay to relax and unwind. Find something physical to do, biking or walking. Find something for your spirit. I volunteered at the food bank one year sorting and boxing items. Find something for your mind/brain. Visit a museum or take an art class.
Take time for you!

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-12-2019, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Separate yourself. Don't think about school. I love the idea of making a list of things you want to do during the school year but can't. It's tempting to spend a lot of time planning, etc., but summer needs to be a time of recuperation, rest, and relaxation.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do whatever I want.

Iím a list maker, so I make lists of things I need to do at home and at work.

This year Iím redoing my classroom theme. I enjoy organizing and decorating, so that actually helps me relax. I even painted my classroom.

So far this summer I have painted my classroom, ordered stuff for my classroom, and made stuff with my Cricut. We had three days of curriculum work, so my plans are outlined for the whole year. At home Iíve stayed up late, slept late, played games online, read two books, organized my master closet, organized our offices, and organized our entertainment room. We have binge watched two shows already. We did some work for my mom. I had a couple of days when I didnít get out of my pajamas.

This past year was great, so I donít feel so overwhelmed. I have planned quite a few school related items over the summer. Years when I have rough years I donít plan anything extra.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with others about choose things for yourself to rejuvenate. We all deserve this summer break! In my early career, I spent a balance of summer on my own home projects and "me" time for gardening , hiking and biking. Then I did some unit planning or some research for new lessons. I found the summer was time I could leisurely work on whatever I felt like.
Sometimes professional reading can help too. I haven't seen any posts about what the latest read is, but maybe a google search? And spend lots of time on PT getting new ideas
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 06-13-2019, 02:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I actually do spend some time on schoolwork, because that effort makes the school year easier. (Although I have to say that I haven't done anything yet this week, so... ) I look for lesson ideas, read PD materials I didn't have time to read during the year, etc. Outside of work, I try to spend a lot of time during the summer exercising, cooking, grabbing a short nap, and enjoying my kids. One thing I don't do is substantially change my sleep schedule. I got up this morning at 5 a.m. and will pretty much continue that throughout the summer. Sleeping late is too disruptive, and having to adjust back to early wakeups makes going back to school way worse.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 06-13-2019, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used to spend the first few days of summer with the shades pulled down, the AC set low, and would crash on the sofa with books and fresh fruit. I would eat, sleep, shower, read, nap, eat, read, repeat. I found the time to withdraw to be very restorative.

I never vacationed the first part of the summer. I needed to be home.

I didnít go near school until two or three weeks before it started. I liked going in early to set up and organize.

A few days before school started we always had a mini trip to the beach. This way vacation was fresh in my mind when school started.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

summer
Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What was it that really did you in during the school year? Is it something you can tweak over the summer? I enjoy sleeping-in over the summer, then sipping coffee on the back porch, then sitting at the kitchen table with my laptop and tweaking lessons, ideas, jotting notes in my binder, etc... It's at my own pace, so I can stop when I want. It really seems to help my school year go more smoothly because I can focus more on other things that come up (student behavior) rather than tweaking my lessons all year on top of the other million things to do.

I also make plans to get with friends for lunch - a different friend each week. Usually it's ones I don't get to see often due to the busy school life.

There are usually projects around the house that I like to do, which makes me feel productive and keeps me from vegging out too much.

Give yourself LOTS of play time. See a movie, walk the beach, take a short vacation, get a pedicure, buy a new outfit. Do things for YOU.

I hope next year is a better one for you.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 06-14-2019, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Itís a family joke at this point but I sleep. My family knows that Iím going to be sleeping almost all the time for at least the first week of break. Last year was a difficult one in terms of coworker issues- I slept most of the first 2 weeks of summer.
Iím a natural introvert and spend a lot of energy every day at school that I need to get back. I need the time alone.

Once I finish my hibernation period, I spend a lot of time outside. I garden, read, walk my dogs. We have small bbqs with friends.

Usually I do some school stuff in the summer to prepare for the next year, but I generally leave it until I feel like doing it - I donít force myself to work on anything.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote