Help

Substitute Teachers

First sub day HS!

>

bubbleepink

First sub day HS!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have my first sub day tomorrow at a high school. I'm normally a div 1 (K-3) teacher so I am kind of worried. What should I bring? I don't think my Div 1 bag of tricks is going to work for HS...

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-09-2015, 02:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A book to read? You are probably not going to teach but instead supervise the students working on projects or taking tests. The one HS I go to I don't teach except during tutorial periods in the library. There I could teach Geometry to one student and causes of The Great Depression to the student seated next to them.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

2strike

HS is different!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ordinarily, the HS sub is more of an administrator rather than a teacher. The lesson plan usually involves handout assignments, or reading/answer the questions, or possibly working on a previously assigned project. Sometimes there will be a video to show. The sub's job is to see that the lesson plan is followed and that the students are staying on task.

The BIG difference is that you typically use the same lesson plan every hour, with a different set of students.

Of course, you can assist students as much as you can.

Don't be afraid of language classes or other areas where you might not be proficient. At the HS level, following the lesson plan is the main thing. I can help students in most math, science, and language arts classes. In foreign languages, German (a little). If it a Spanish class, I tell the students that the only Spanish I know is from watching Dora with my grandkids !
2strike is offline   Reply With Quote

oddduck

Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the other posters: Book to read, notebook, pen/pencil. Lunch for sure if your schools serve the garbage ours do! And the attitude that these students are more entertaining...lol..in my opinion. Odds are, most of them will pretty much ignore you, but are fun to observe!
oddduck is offline   Reply With Quote

MiCharlie124

Make it what you want it to be
Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have subbed high school nearly exclusively for many years and I love it. You have to develop a management style completely different from the lower levels. Rarely am I a baby-sitter in a high school classroom. I hear students say all the time, "You're not like the other subs who just read or text all hour." If the students have a worksheet to do, don't just hand it out and sit back and read. Walk among the students and monitor their work and help or make suggestions. Sometimes a teacher will leave a plan that says "Have students read chapter 8 and do the questions (or worksheet)" - You can count on the fact that they will go right to the questions and not read. In those cases, I read the material aloud with the students and discuss before I assign the work. I'm in the same school almost all the time, so the kids know it will not be a free day when I am there.

High school kids have their own sets of sub games they play. Don't fall for them. I don't allow passes to bathrooms or to get a drink unless I feel it is a real emergency. You let one student go, then it starts that they all want to go. Do a head count after you take attendance to make sure they agree. Do your attendance in ink. If I'm doing paper attendance, and not on the computer, and a student has to take it to the office, they have been known to erase your markings on it.

I carry materials in a messenger back or briefcase that includes looseleaf paper, pencils, pens, highlighters, etc, so there is never an excuse for a student not to do the work. You can lend them by asking for collateral that you will return at the end of class. Above all, be positive. Don't let them make you visibly upset. They eat that up. Respect them and they will respect you back. Try to show them that you know the material (even if you don't). Sometimes just opening up the book before they come in and finding out a few of the answers to the questions they will have gives you so much credibility in their eyes.

Above all, have fun.

MiCharlie124 is offline   Reply With Quote
vanessa575

vanessa575

awesome advice
Old 09-09-2015, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is awesome advice I will for sure be using! I am much more intimidated by the younger kids. I haven't subbed in 4 years, but in the 3 years I did I found I really enjoyed the older kids because I could relate to them. I'm hoping I can handle elementary better now, since I have kids in elementary because those are the jobs I have for the next couple weeks

bubbleepink

It takes all kinds...
Old 09-11-2015, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

... Of teachers to run the school! I am at home in an elementary classroom and I was so scared walking into that class on weds! Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, they were quite helpful. My day went well. I learned a few things and ultimately, I had fun!

I have another job this afternoon at the same HS and a few more in the coming weeks
bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote