BusyBoard

Catholic Teacher - Philosophy of Catholic Education

>

bubbleepink

Catholic Teacher - Philosophy of Catholic Education
Old 05-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I am applying to a few jobs at Catholic Schools - I am a non practicing Catholic, and I need to write a Philosophy of Catholic Education. I have worked at Catholic Schools in the past, and am currently a sub in our regional Catholic school division. What should I include in this and how long should it be? Should I address the fact that I am not practicing or leave it be?

Any help here would be great.

Thanks
BP

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 05-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are some links that may help you.

http://archstl.org/education/page/ph...olic-education

https://www.oakdiocese.org/offices/h...ol-education-1

Write from your heart about why you want to teach in a Catholic school.

It is usually expected that one be a practicing Catholic in a Catholic school. They may ask you if you are. It might be in the contract to be practicing. I would not bring it up.

Good luck with your journey.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't mention that you aren't practicing, but check to see what's required. In our area, elementary teachers are required to be practicing Catholics since they teach religion. Middle and high school teachers aren't, as long as the schools can adjust the schedules so they don't teach religion.

I think I would look on the Internet for Catholic school sites and see how they phrase their mission statements and philosophies.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

They're open
Old 05-23-2018, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Regardless of whether you're practicing or not, this will not stop you from being hired. Catholic schools I've worked in are open to all people with or without faith so long as you're not proselytizing your belief or lack of it.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Talk about teaching the "whole child" and meeting academic, physical, and spiritual needs. Refer to teaching as a vocation as well as a career.

Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

packerfan

I agree
Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

With what others have said. Don't mention you are a non practicing because you may find yourself practicing again soon, you never know how things are going to go.

I agree with talking about educating the 'whole child'. My daughter school mission is Challenging minds, developing character and Live Jesus.

Good Luck
packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Religion
Old 05-24-2018, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

has no place at school. That is a family issue.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Crazy3
Old 05-24-2018, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ummm. I think a Catholic school would disagree, as would Jewish or Muslim schools and even Protestant ones.

Many families pay lots of money to include religion in their schools as well as paying taxes to support public schools.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Crazy3
Old 05-25-2018, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Religion is the reason Catholic schools exist. Parents pay tuition to have the faith reinforced on a daily basis.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Bubbleepink
Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I waited a few days to respond. Although I canít help you with the philosophy because Iíve never written one for a Catholic school, I did teach in Catholic schools for 30 years.

Normally, it is understood that you are a practicing Catholic.

If you are teaching religion, you are required you to be a practicing Catholic. Our kindergarten teacher was of another faith,so it was arranged for her to switch classes with the other teacher for this subject alone. I honestly donít know if the question came up when she was hired for kindergarten.

As a teacher in a Catholic school, you will be repairing class masses on a regular basis. My first school only had a childrenís mass once a month (that was in the early 80ís so a long time ago), so therefore we only prepared one or two masses a year. The school I taught at for 26 years we had mass every week so you prepared about four or five masses a year.

To answer your second question, I would not mention that you are not a practicing Catholic. There is always the fact that you may be in the future. If asked that question directly, I would consider it seriously. Iím a very honest person but if I really wanted that job I might tell them I was and start attending mass. I know this is a very frank response so I hope it helped you some.

Lastly, Catholic schools do pay less so a few times in my career I looked elsewhere. Iíll have to say that probably the best thing I ever did was to teach in Catholic schools. Youíre able to talk about your faith and other subjects that are close to it without worrying about what you say. I had a very enjoyable experience, except for my last principal.

Good luck with your decision and in finding a teaching position.

kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

Thank you
Old 05-28-2018, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks everyone! I teach in Alberta, Canada so the Catholic Schools here are publicly funded and income is based on the Union - Thank you for your concern though!

I have come up with something, I was hoping I could get some feedback, if anyone has the inclination or the time.

My Philosophy of Catholic Education

To me, education is not only about academics, it is about educating the whole person. This involves the mind, body and soul. First, I believe that it is the job of the classroom teacher to help develop each learner’s academic potential. Equally important to reaching academic success is also helping students’ learn about the body that God gave them. Ultimately, this is achieved through a modeling of healthy habits where our bodies are respected, which, in turn, respects God. Lastly, I strive to teach my students’ how to be followers of Jesus Christ. We are all God’s children and so I feel that the best way to teach students how to be followers of Jesus is to be a good example for them. By being a good Catholic, I am showing my students’ how I am following in Jesus’ footsteps. By building a strong foundation through faith, students will be better prepared to learn and grow in the path of Jesus.

Our faith is permeated in everything we do and teach. We do not teach Religion as a subject a few times a week. Rather, it is a daily lesson, incorporated in everything we do. For instance, I often use the story of Zacchaeus the tax collector as a model story to tell when children are having troubles on the playground. Sometimes students are excluded because they are perceived as “cheaters” and have difficulty being inclusive. I share the story of Zacchaeus and ask them what the next steps should be on the playground. Luke 19:5-6 says “5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.”6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.” Most of the time they come to the decision on their own to welcome the child they have excluded, because they know that is how Jesus would want them to act.

Ultimately, It is my goal as a Catholic educator to bring the foundational teachings of my faith to everyday learning experiences. Teaching is a vocation, not just a career, I feel as though I was called upon to teach children to be the best they can be in God’s eyes.

I am not sure how to end it, but if you see an area which could use improvement please let me know as well.

Thank you again,

BP

Last edited by bubbleepink; 05-28-2018 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Adding more to my philosophy

bubbleepink

Coopsgrammy! Good Point!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I didn't have the teaching as a vocation in there. I will add that in!

Thank you!