Help

BusyBoard

Leveling Tool

>

Teacherbee_4

Leveling Tool
Old 02-22-2015, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've found some articles I'd like to use in guided reading. Does anyone know if there is a tool where I can type in part of the article and get an estimated Fountas and Pinnell level? I just want to make sure it's not super below their level or super above either. Thanks!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Not Sure
Old 02-23-2015, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

https://www.lexile.com/tools/lexile-...can-your-text/

I Googled "Scan text to determine reading level" and found this link. I have no idea if it is what you need, but figured it was worth a try.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

scholastic
Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can do this with the scholastic wizard, but there is also an app called "level it" (for iProducts) I think it's 2.99 but well worth it!! Also, search these boards some more. This question has been asked many times before and great links have been provided. I'm not at my computer so I can't share them here.

Last edited by bubbleepink; 02-23-2015 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: auto correct
bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks, I'll try the lexile site and then just conver the lexile into a Fountas and Pinnell level.

Can I do that with Scholastic book wizard though? I knew I could search for book titles and get a level, but I'm talking articles. Would the level it app let me type in a chunk of text from the article and give an estimated Fountas and Pinnell level?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just always google "text lexile level" or "text F&P level". There are several websites that will let you drop in text and get an idea of the Lexile and or FP levels. Readability level through Word would give you a grade level which would easily converted. Some things are more reliable than others. Where are you getting the articles from? The publisher may have an estimated readability level as well. Worst case you just try the articles and see what happens. Reading things above grade level is sometimes educational. Sounds like a fun and interesting thing to do in a guided reading group every once and a while. Personally I like to use small leveled texts, poems and novels for guided reading. Mostly I download things from Reading A-Z. They have some decent articles in their Close Reading section. Scholastic also has a good series called Story Works that my older students enjoy. The articles are on all sorts of things.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote