Help

First Grade

1-2-3 Magic

>

msc06

1-2-3 Magic
Old 08-12-2015, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Someone recommended 1-2-3 Magic to me for one of my students last year. I got the book and read it over the summer and am ready to start with it at the beginning of this school year!!!

Does anyone else use it? Tips/suggestions?

msc06 is offline   Reply With Quote

geauxtee

I use it
Old 08-13-2015, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it. I write the students name on the board for the first warning. Second warning is a check and then if they get to three they get 5 minutes off recess.
geauxtee is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

Stop sign and clothes pins
Old 08-14-2015, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used a stop light, made out of construction paper. Green (starting position), yellow - first warning "that's 1", red - "that's 2", string - that's 3 - time out.
When you give a warning move the pin.

I eventually moved on from the stop light and did a "right on track". The stop sign took up less space but the right on track board was more intependant for grade 1's. "That's 1! Move your star". I wish I had a picture.

My students get a timeout in the classroom. If they start talking or act silly they start again. My students needed immediate conveniences, recess was too long to wait for a concequence. Time out and it's done worked really well for most.
bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

msc06

Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for all the tips! Figuring out how to keep track is what I'm trying to figure out... I like the track and stop sign ideas... I want something that's easy to do without interrupting the lesson. I also had trouble last year because I had cards and kids would mess around with them... lol.

What do you do if they get more than one time out a day? Do you change consequences? (Like the second time a note has to go home, etc...) or just leave it at a time out each time?

bubbleepink

Not usually...
Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would call home depending on the situation. If someone who never gets a time out gets 3 or 4 then I call. I don't call for my behaviour students because I'd be calling home everyday with negative news, I just record that in the behaviour notes. On the otherhand... if this same student has a good day (1 or no timeouts) they get a phone call home with a positive call.

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

msc06

Old 09-04-2015, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been working out the kinks with this program through the first few weeks of school.

Now that my students seem to understand my expectations, I think using the "That's 1" and that's it it starting to work.

What do you do if they just don't care about getting a time out? I have one student who I do A LOT of behavior modification for and positive reinforcement but once he gets into a mood he could end up getting to a count of 15 in the span of 5 minutes and couldn't care less. The thing with him is that he gets into these moods based on frustration and other issues, and then he can often recover. But due to one of these meltdowns, his day, behaviorally wise, may be ruined already because he will have gotten 3 timeouts already or so.