Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

New to K/1

>

bubbleepink

New to K/1
Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I started the year as a Kindergarten teacher, but as of Dec 1, I switched to a K/1. I lost most of my kinders and added 8 grade 1's to a total of 15. In this mix of kids I have:
- 1 (kinder) who cannot handle being told and screams when he cannot do something he wants or we need to switch to something else.
-1 (grade 1- was suggested to repeat k) ODD - rolls around on the carpet, under tables, again, if she isn't interested in it, she doesn't do it.
-1 (grade 1) who is a mix between these two. Cries when he doesn't get his way or gets spoken to because he hurt someone/wasn't listening. AND he copies what the girl above does.
1- (grade 1 - the original K's brother) doesn't want to be in my class so he doesn't do anything. He's waiting "to go back to his (my) own class" even though several people, including grandma and P have told him this is his class now.

I feel like all I do is manage these behaviours (not well to be honest).
These grade 1's are also the on the lower end academic and social) so they require more support or to be grouped with kindergarten. I have reached out to admin several times for support, their response has been "call admin". But then they complain that I am calling them too often.

I have started a sticker reward chart - super improver wall. That I started last Monday, and I am praising EVERYTHING. It's only been a week so it's hard to see improvement.

Admin called a meeting with me for classroom discipline and I am trying very hard to think of this as a positive meeting. I have prepared a list of all the needs/behaviours and all the strategies that I have used - and what works or doesn't work. I write daily notes in agendas making sure to highlight positive behaviour as well.

I'm looking for all the suggestions, PLEASE!!!
BP

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-03-2020, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just want to say that switching to a k/1 in the middle of the year is just asking for trouble. Many kids would have difficulty with that sort of thing. On top of that, it sounds like they took all the kids who weren't cutting first grade and dumped them in the new class. Kids who aren't making it are going to be behavior issues more often than not.

Try class dojo? I have heard positive rewards on there interest the children. Definitely do behavior plans of some sort - start with parent meetings and put something together with parent support.
Right now, see if you can address one thing for most the group (following directions the first time?) and reward those who do. Skittles - one each time can sometimes startle kids into performing.

Anyway- hopefully someone will come on with some good supportive ideas. I think you got the short end of the stick - maybe you knew that going in? Hang in there!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote