Help

BusyBoard

Second Year Struggle

>

HP3

Second Year Struggle
Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a second year teacher, and I feel completely lost and confused. During my first year of teaching I didn't have much help besides a professional development group that met once a month. My school is in a time of change and their standards and programs are all over the place. Not one grade is using the same reading programs and even the state math standards are being taught differently all over the school. Every time I asked for help I was flooded by different responses and different ideas mostly all coming to the same conclusion, which was come up with your plan on your own and make sure you are meeting the standards. With little resources, or guidance and being a timid person it was very hard to ask for help I struggled but in the end all of my students grew so much and I felt proud of my first year. Then my second year started and going in I felt confident. I knew things that worked, knew things I wanted to change and did a lot of reflection of how to improve. Then I come to find out throughout my second year I am doing everything wrong. The people on my grade level team are very in sync and I feel like an outsider, the other member of our team left last year and that teacher was the one I bonded the most with. My principal's observations have apparently not gone well. Lessons I thought were amazing, well prepared, executed perfectly and my students showed growth and engagement were met with "developing". Every time I speak with her she asks things like if I want to observe my fellow grade level teachers because I don't seem to be understanding what a certain part of our day looks like and says things like "We gave you so much help last year and you were thriving and we took it away and now you seem lost". I am new but it's so disheartening to feel confident in where you are and then be constantly knocked and I am a pro at self reflection, I write notes, I make mistakes, I learn. So I am reaching out, hoping someone may have advice or direction to help me. What can I do to improve my situation?

HP3 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 04-05-2019, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I may be off-base, but I think your team is sabotaging you. It wouldn't surprise me if one or more of them is talking to the principal about you behind your back. These people are not your friends. Your principal is using the fact that you were a new teacher last year and needed support against you. What kind of administrator does that? Is she giving you specific feedback on how to improve? Does your "team" plan together regularly? If yes, then I don't understand how the principal can say negative things about your lessons, unless she just doesn't like the way you present it.

You are in a difficult position. My advice would be to attend team planning, teach whatever they are teaching and DO NOT ask questions. They are using that against you to make you appear weak. If the principal wants you to observe other teachers, then do so. Personally, I would be very interested to see what goes on in their classrooms!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with readerleader. Something is fishy here. Your team members should take you under their wing and help you get in sync with them. When we get a new grade level partner at my school, we help in every way we can for as long as it takes. Ask these two teachers if you can plan together and do it in front of the principal. The P may not realize they are leaving you out. I would also observe them to get an idea of what the P is looking for.
jov is online now   Reply With Quote