BusyBoard

When do you know it's time to move on?

>

Mekellz

Mekellz

When do you know it's time to move on?
Old 04-03-2019, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work in a large district: there are more than 60 elementary schools, more than 10 middle schools and 8 high schools. I have always worked at the same school. I've been there for 10 years and I have always loved my school. I like the population, I like the grade level, I like my colleagues, but big changes are coming. We are getting a new administration-first new administration I've ever had, and two of my closest teacher friends are leaving: one is retiring, and one is taking an administrative internship. I've been considering for about a year whether or not it's time to leave my school and transfer to a new place.
My thoughts:
1. I would love to teach 4th grade or 5th grades but I don't want to at my school because there's always a few that I definitely don't want in my class again.
2. With my closest people leaving maybe it would be good for me to get a fresh start somewhere else.
3. I'm comfortable. This could be a good or a bad thing. For me it has increased my confidence, but maybe outside my comfort zone would be nice.
4. I have some really good relationships with some of the families at my school who still have kids coming up.
5. We are one of the few elementary schools in the district with a 1-to-1 tech ratio, and I utilize technology in nearly every lesson to some extent.
For those of you who work in situations where you have plenty of transfer opportunities, how do you know when it's time to move on and transfer somewhere else?

UVAgrl928

Old 04-07-2019, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How is your mental health? For me, itís when I see a change in my attitude and personality because things are wearing on me.

I was at my first school for 7 years- working with that team was causing me to be physically ill that last year. I knew it wasnít healthy and I needed the change.

This is my 4th year at my current school. I had an incident at the end of last school year that made me feel unsafe, and didnít like the way it was resolved- it showed me the P didnít care about me. The redeeming thing was my team is amazing- best Iíve ever worked with. I know from my previous experience, that a team can make or break you. But, 4 out of 5 of us are leaving. So I decided it was time to get out of the classroom- took an ESOL position at a brand new school thatís opening in the fall. Just accepting the position has totally renewed/refreshed my teaching, so I can tell I made the right choice.

Do you feel at peace with feeling comfortable? For me (Iím not married, no kids)- I need to feel that I am able to grow- and I just donít in my current environment.

You never really know for sure. Itís change, so itís scary regardless- but you have to do what you feel is best for you!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We got a new P last school year. That seemed to be the thing that pushed a lot of people who were on the fence into looking for new positions- they figured there was going to be change at our school anyway, so they might as well seek out some changes that they really wanted.

My perception is a bit different because I worked in a school/district that was an absolute nightmare earlier in my career. I mean, I could write a novel about how bad that place was. When I interviewed, the P seemed amazing, I clicked with the teachers, and at the time no other positions were posted so I thought there was low turnover. The P who hired me ended up leaving after that and a nutcase was hired over the summer. I would have to be really miserable to go elsewhere, because now I'm terrified of jumping from the frying pan to the fire after having that experience.

I'm not in a situation like yours, though- my district is tiny so there isn't much room for moving around within the same district. In your situation, I don't see why you wouldn't just try it. Theoretically, if the new school ends up being bad, you'd just move on to one of other other schools in the district, right? Since it's the same district, you won't lose any kind of non-probationary status you have. Since your school is getting a new P anyway, now seems like the perfect time to try something else out if that's what you're wanting to do.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote