Help

BusyBoard

How/when/why do you decide to transfer?

>

hikinghiker

How/when/why do you decide to transfer?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching and I'm currently a Kindergarten teacher at a charter school. I live in Las Vegas where public education is either a hit or a very big miss.

I like the school I'm at. It has decent pay (not terrible but not as good as the public district) and pretty good admin. I have no big complaints, except that I don't get along with my co-workers and I feel like there's a lot of favoritism and cliques. I originally got along with several co-workers and talked to them frequently, but as the year progressed and I got busier I tapered off so I lost some good co-worker friendships. I'm still friends, but not stop by their classroom whenever friends. I also don't feel like I get along with my grade-level coworkers. The grade level-chair and another teacher have a lot of similarities that I don't share which has caused them to bond a lot. I also just have different traits and values. We get along okay and we eat lunch together and I can stop by their rooms and they're friendly, but we don't 'click' and I feel like they don't like me.

I know I'll eventually want to get out of the charter school district and go to public fo the pay increase, but I'm wondering if I should start looking now. I ideally want to teach Kindergarten and there's not a ton of K openings in the city. I likely have a job next year, but since it's a charter we really don't know until August which is also making me anxious. On top of that, the board just passed a decision to require teachers to email them with past convictions. I was convicted of a minor crime in college, and while I disclosed it on my application, I don't want to have to send it to the board and have them let me go in August since it would be hard to find jobs then. On the other hand, it might also make it difficult to find another job now.

Also, I don't want to start applying then have my principal non-renew me because "I'm planning on leaving anyways."

Sorry for the rant....can anyone offer their thoughts on this?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 04-18-2019, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A good rapport with your coworkers can make the difference for me. It doesn't hurt to look around and apply. If you're that anxious about that many unknowns, take the leap and try for another school.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote