Help

BusyBoard

How to ask for change in position?

>

teacher0729

How to ask for change in position?
Old 04-07-2019, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach special ed right now and there is a general ed position opening at my school. How do I ask for the chance to have that position? We only have 2 special ed teachers (myself and another) and the other one is retiring so I have a feeling they wonít want me to move because then they will have 2 brand new special ed teachers and I do know they think I am good at my position. How do I approach asking? I donít want to say something like ďis it an option for me to move to the gen edĒ because I feel like they could just say they would rather not but gen ed positions donít open up much in our small district so this is probably my only opportunity in the next 5 years or so.

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ask for a meeting with your P and discuss how you'd be a good fit for the other position. You'd likely have a better chance if you state that you'd be willing to mentor the new sped teachers in the building next year.

If you're really serious about moving to gen ed, I'd be prepared to apply in other districts. In the meeting, state that of course you'd love to have the position at your school, but if not you'll be applying elsewhere, and then actually do it. I think knowing that they would potentially lose you either way might be the only thing that would really help you get the position. Getting a reference call for you while they're still mulling it over might certainly push them in the direction you want.

If you're not willing to apply to other districts, it doesn't hurt to ask, but I certainly wouldn't get your hopes up. Especially with having two positions to fill, I think it's extremely unlikely that they'd let a good sped teacher go to a gen ed position. There is somewhat of a teacher shortage around here and even then, elementary teachers are still a dime a dozen. They don't want to lose someone they know is good in a hard to fill position for a position they can very easily fill from the outside.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote