Help

BusyBoard

Title I to Classroom?

>

SweetTea

Title I to Classroom?
Old 04-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught in the same grade for nine years. This year I switched to Title I to get back in the district after having switched to a different district last year. I like what I am doing for the most part, and it is less stressful in some areas, but I do miss things about the classroom. These types of positions do not open up in my district often...this is the first one in eight years!

Anyway, on Friday, the principal asked me if I would be interesting in returning to the classroom. I was surprised to say the least. My first concern was that I was not doing what was expected, but based on my reviews so far, I know that is not true.

So I made a list of pros and cons, but am still having trouble deciding what to do. To add in a little more info, my school will now be the only one in our district that is a Title I school, the others have lost their status due to an improved economy and less free/reduced lunch. The responsibility for being in compliance will be moved to our building rather than through administration...and I have a feeling it will become part of the Title I job here. We also will have to implement a new "program" to meet the requirements of a dyslexia law in our state. This law was passed, but there was no funding given to districts to implement it. Students who are identified will have a special plan (not an IEP, but something similar) and special instruction. These things will likely become part of the Title I teacher's job. However, we are not yet sure how detailed it will be. At this time, there are two of us in Title I (teacher and para) serving about 70 students K-4

Here are some things I miss about being in the classroom: technology, deeper teaching, collaborating, students of varying abilities, and teaching all subjects.
Here are some things I do NOT miss: grading, state testing, and meetings

Here are some things I do not like about my Title I job this year: recess duty, after school duty, less prep time because they keep adding students to my groups, students with IEPs who remain in Title because the special ed teacher does not want to take them (they only have 12 total in the building), and supervising a para who need oversight and constant support.

Any advice from someone who has had experience in this area? I am supposed to talk with the P about it tomorrow.

Last edited by SweetTea; 04-07-2019 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Typo
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

teapot

I just moved back
Old 04-07-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just moved back into the classroom after many years in Title. While I loved teaching Title, I did not like the fact that half my evaluation was based on test scores. My scores were based on students I was only allowed to see for 30 min. per day IF the classroom teacher would let me take them. I had students who missed over 60 days of Title because the classroom schedule changed so much (special events, random subject area tests, or new duties added). I love, love, love that I get to have my students all day. While I do miss Title, I know that due to Federal money being cut, I would be forced back into the classroom soon anyways. I wanted to do it on my terms. Good Luck!
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Teapot...
Old 04-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree about the teachers letting us take students. I have ten groups throughout the day. One day less than a month ago, I had to make seven calls to remind teachers to send their students. It is frustrating. I haven't had my final evaluation yet so I likely will feel that pain soon enough. Like you, I am wondering how long we will continue to have funding. Thanks for responding! I appreciate your advice.

Renea

Old 04-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I returned to the classroom after teaching Title 1 six years because I was concerned about the funding of Title 1 in my district. I didn't regret returning to the classroom.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 04-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was out of the classroom for 5 years. I returned mostly for job security. If you do not go back to the classroom next year is there a chance in another few years you could be out of a desirable position altogether?

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Security...
Old 04-07-2019, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have had many experienced teachers retire in this district in the last five years. However, there is usually not much movement other than retirements. If the funding were to cease, they would have to provide me a position, but it would not be my choice. Thanks for sharing your advice.

Ima Teacher

Old 04-07-2019, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach in a Title I district, so it’s a little different. We are 70% free/reduced lunch district-wide.

I started as a Title I reading teacher and moved to ELA. My positions weren’t that different, really. (I’m secondary.) I didn’t pull kids out, but had them all in the same class. I had a (useless) aide who was supposed to pull groups, but she never did.

We do have access to Title I funds for classes, though. I like that.

I’d prefer a regular classroom.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote