Help

BusyBoard

Need some ideas for "between assignments"

>

kerrysgirl

Need some ideas for "between assignments"
Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have the WORST time coming up with things to do with the kids when they finish an assignment and are waiting for others to get done. I'm thinking about journaling sheets or "what's going on in the picture" types of activities that I can count for small extra credit, etc., but I'm not sure what that would look like/how to manage it. Any suggestions/ideas for "between assignments" activities that are short, skill building, and (at least perceived as) fun?

Thanks!

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 04-12-2019, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like Choice Boards. I find if the kids can choose then theyíre more engaged. Iíve found different ones through TPT, Pinterest, & Iíve just made my own. Also, if you have keyboards or chrome books available - what about typing? Typing.com is free and dancemat typing can be fun and good practice.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Early finisher's board
Old 04-12-2019, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have an early finisher's board that I use. It has 6 different activities: Draw It, Solve It, Read It, Write It, Do It, Make It. Also included are 3 different journal prompts. I bought it off of TPT for $20. One of the few big purchases I made there.
The activities change every week.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sometimes it's not necessary to wait for everyone to be done. Unless it is a test or something else given for a grade, I just have everyone stop and we go over it. If they are having a hard time finishing, it probably means they need extra support anyway.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i've had good experience using coloring squared.com (tiny multiplication/division/fractions, etc problems they color to see scene) and giving them coordinate grids/cartesian planes to create images.

(if you put things in a folder in a spare desk and announce that it is "enrichment" work, they will flock to it!)

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-12-2019, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have some "may-do" activities that students can do if they finish early. Reading and journaling is always an option, and then there are 6-10 other activities they can choose from (these change every 2-4 weeks). All are practicing skills but in a variety of ways and levels, most in the form of a game or using a variety of manipulatives.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 04-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I typically found that the early finisher assignments created jealousy and/or inappropriately speedy work among the other students. They wanted to do the extra stuff too, so they would fly through the assignment without caring how they did it just so they could do the early finisher work. I stopped doing early finisher work and just had students keep a book at their desk to read independently.
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Thanks, all!
Old 04-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As always, I appreciate your input and ideas!

I'm slightly concerned that I'll have a few who rush through work to get to the Early Finisher items, but will cross the bridge when I come to it. We have a very limited library with very few books on appropriate levels for my kids. They are welcome to read anytime, but very few of them are finding books that they like that are also challenging enough. I'm hoping to put some more challenging stuff out there for my kids who need it.

Again, my thanks!
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Early Finishers
Old 04-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You will have some students who will rush through the work to get to the choice activities! For them you will have to have the rule that they have to show you their work first before they can start the other activity. You also do not need to grade everything they do--choice activities, especially. Take a look at the book, The Daily 5 for ideas on how to incorporate choice into your day.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote