Essential components in a math curriculum? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Essential components in a math curriculum?

>

Sbkangas5

Essential components in a math curriculum?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are adopting a new math curriculum. Our math committee is asking for input - what are 3-5 essential components in a math curriculum. Would love your thoughts!

Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Simple Answer
Old 04-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

manipulatives
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with manipulatives and will add critical thinking and english language development.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 04-12-2019, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Math reasoning--not just following an algorithm, but deciding how to approach a problem and understanding
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

MyLifeClass

agree with others and...
Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Cyclical review

MyLifeClass is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Because I am ECE, I always look to the activities: are they games (aka EveryDay Math) or is it all worksheets (aka Stepping Stones)?

That is my #1 deal breaker.

We have Stepping Stones and I still teach EDM because of the games!
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 04-13-2019, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with PPs. We adopted Go Math a few years ago, but, like Zia, I still use the games and activities from our old Everyday Math program. For our level, the curriculum needs to be heavy in number sense. Most of the time should be spent working at the concrete level to build their understanding and foundational skills. Avoid a program that is heavy in worksheets. Students should be working with a variety of manipulatives like connecting cubes, and counters-buttons, counting bears, pennies, Unifix cubes... and use tools like number paths (as opposed to number lines), ten frames, bead strings/sticks and even rekenreks. They should be playing games and doing activities using dice, dominoes and decks of playing cards. Even playing games like Candyland helps build one-to-one correspondence.

It would be nice if the program had a parent component with either letters or links to videos that explain what you are working on and share suggested developmentally-appropriate activities families can do together at home to reinforce what you are working on instead of having children complete lots of worksheets and drill and kill. i.e. I have a little one who had been going to a learning center since she was four years old. Her parents informed me on the first day that she already knows the basic facts and is working on two-digit addition and subtraction and wanted her challenged and in a gifted and talented program because they knew she would be way ahead of the other students. However, while I found that she had the basic facts memorized, she did not have a true understanding of what addition and subtraction are and struggles to match number expressions to models or to solve simple word problems.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Math curriculum
Old 04-13-2019, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

After having gone through this three times, the one thing to make everyone aware of is this:

Not every program fits every grade level. Our district kept trying programs for K-8. Usually the upper grades, especially middle school loved them, and the primary grades hated them.

The last adoption, the district got two programs...one for primary and one for upper grades.

Primary needs lots of manipulative, games, and repeated practice.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
We adopted Go Math a few years ago, but, like Zia, I still use the games and activities from our old Everyday Math program.
We adopted Go Math a few years ago as well and hate it. I've been using EDM stuff this whole time. So now we are looking once again to replace a poor curriculum.

Quote:
Not every program fits every grade level.
I really really hope our school keeps this in mind. Especially being down in K, I feel every school wide mandate and adoption is rarely relevant to us. I'd love a k-2/3 and 3/4-6 adoption.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Math adoption
Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We adopted Go Math several years ago. Although I agree w/ several posters regarding the need to supplement GM's hands on (concrete) activities, I find their interactive tutorials and practice and homework with spiral useful. We chose lessons that followed our standards and did not use lessons we felt not relevant.

luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote