Help

BusyBoard

What do you need?

>

Marcee

What do you need?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I coach new teachers in their first year out of school, as a teacher, not an administrator/evaluator. Education is full of unwritten rules that teachers need to navigate, and it can be colossally overwhelming. What would you say are the most important things for new teachers to know? I do have a checklist, but I would like to hear from teachers (veteran and new), so I can perfect my coaching skills. THANKS!

Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 04-13-2019, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not kidding--the first thing I came up with was: New teachers need a safe place to vent, freak out, cry and rant without somebody telling them they're wrong to do those things. Not sure how you accomplish that!
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

-keep your head down and avoid the gossip mill (I still struggle with this) because you never know who you can trust.
-don’t reinvent the wheel.
-it’s easy to become overwhelmed. Prioritize.
-make time for yourself and your mental health.
-follow through. Don’t make a threat you can’t follow through on.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 04-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Donít try to change everything the first year. Work with your team and listen to their suggestions. You have an entire career ahead of you to make changes.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

As a new principal
Old 04-13-2019, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd love to see your list if you don't mind sharing! I'll have quite a few new teachers on staff next year, and this would be very helpful.

From my teaching experience, I'd say: you won't be able to please everybody, so as long as you focus on doing what's right for your students, you're okay - be true to your teaching style while being open to ideas from more experienced teachers - it's okay that you don't know everything on the first day - be careful who you tell personal information to - it's great to have a lesson plan but don't forget to take the time to use those teachable moments that pop up to really hit a point home with your students.

GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 04-13-2019, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am a new teacher mentor. Here, you have to have two years of mentoring before you can get your professional teaching certificate. Here is a screen shot of our orientation checklist. We also have to log monthly meetings with our mentees, and show that they have met the state teaching standards.

It is important that it is a no judgement zone and you can be a non biased listener.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is an example of our monthly logs that we have to fill out... each month there are suggestions for discussions based on what goes on that month.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

What do you need
Old 04-13-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You know what would have truly helped me? If someone went over my pay stub with a fine toothed comb and explained it all to me. Seriously, there were important things I didnít learn about for years and I was too embarrassed to ask.

Also, it would have helped to know more about the retirement system and putting money aside.

And, the history of the district. I had a good first principal who explained how all the schools got their specialties and why some seemed more moorland than others. It was my first introduction to education politics.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 04-13-2019, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'll echo the previous posters who said prioritization. As a mentor, this was the biggest thing to help the mentees with.

I think it is also important for them to understand the school culture. There are so many unwritten rules in each building. There are ways to get your way without stepping on toes. I've also noticed a strange degree of wanting excessive collaboration. I don't know if it's just the teachers graduating from the colleges in our area though. I think it's a nervousness piece, where if everyone is doing the same thing, I can't be blamed mentality. They need to know that everyone has their own unique way of teaching. They have to find their own rhythm.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Old 04-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think that we do our new teachers a tremendous disservice in the ways that we don't teach classroom management. It can take years to figure out on your own what really works. Why not provide concrete information and assistance in setting up a system that can work.

Also, I agree that, while teaching can be quite collaborate, there are times when it is not. New teachers need to be prepared for times when they need to figure things out on their own. That is part of the reason, I try to give my student teachers as many weeks as possible when they are in control of the classroom - but then I came into teaching at the time when the administrator gave you the room key, and you went in and closed the door behind you and figured out how to teach.

geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Thank you!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have something similar to the checklists that were posted. I appreciate the candor, and wholeheartedly agree that being there for them to vent is critical. Thanks!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Organizational skills
Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Don't overlook filing and other organizing skills from the start. I color coded by subject matter for upper elementary. Then at least I knew what color folder might have that worksheet/memo I meant to file. Organizing by months might be better than subject for younger grades.

Remember that you can't get to all the things you might find. If you don't use it this year, do it as a change next year.

Last edited by sbslab; 04-15-2019 at 10:06 AM..
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Great ideas so far. I'd add, know your P.--meaning, are deadlines really deadlines? Ours will tell you its ok to turn something in a bit late but won't tell you it'll count against you on the eval.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Classroom management
Old 04-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Number one issue I struggled with (still do a bit) is classroom management. Organization is the second one.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote