Help

BusyBoard

Should we take a "transition year?"

>

MiddleGrades

Should we take a "transition year?"
Old 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 6-8 social studies at a Preschool-8th grade Title 1 School. Our sixth grade is ROUGH this year, fifth grade is apparently giving them a run for their money, and apparently third grade is making the school fall apart.

Because of this my principal wants to change how our grades run. She wants us to do what 4th and 5th grade do - only switch between two teachers and every teacher only teach one grade but more than one subject. She said she wants me to teach all of the ELA and Social Studies to both classes of 8th graders.

She said next year 6th grade is definitely switching to that, but she wants those of us in 7th and 8th to talk about if we want to immediately switch, or if we go to a team of 4 (combined 7th and 8th), pick up reading (because we'll teach reading to our own classes), and take a year to "transition." She said she wonders if the kids will push back if we go too elementary too quickly, but it may just be her thinking.

So for me, next year I could go to what I'll be doing in 2020-2021 (homeroom reading, all 8th grade ELA and SS), or I could do 7th and 8th grade social studies (dropping 6th from this year) and pick up homeroom reading.

MiddleGrades is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Pushback
Old 04-16-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh you will get pushback from the kids! They will have the irrational feeling that they are being treated like the little kids! 6-8 graders need to be in a middle school.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

switching
Old 04-18-2019, 12:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about the new format makes the principal think it will work better? Are the transitions where most of the problems are happening? Does she/he think that more time with one teacher will build more relationships?

If transitions is the issue, one potential option is switching teachers, not classrooms. A friend's school did this in 5th grade. They had 3 classes of kids. The kids stayed in their own room. The teachers moved classrooms. So in your example, you'd go to each classroom to teach social studies.It really cut down on transition problems b/c they kids weren't noisy in the hallway, didn't leave behind supplies, etc. Now, they already taught reading to their own homeroom and being elem, also were in charge of their own class for lunch, recess, going to specials, etc.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Princ wants Change
Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I usually find that it's hard to change admin's mind once they have made them up. However, it seems like the grade levels could focus on "transition strategies."
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote