Substitute Teachers

How many districts do you sub in?

>

yellowdaisies

How many districts do you sub in?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just curious.

As background, I am just starting to get into districts as a sub - I am in the system in the district I student taught in already, and I have started the application process with another one, and picked up the paperwork today for a third district. I am in southern California, so districts around me are quite large, but I have heard that people often get called infrequently because there are so many subs. Districts around here also don't hire subs very often, so I check my state's website for jobs in education frequently, and snatch up what I can get!

yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

One
Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only sub in one district that has around 800 teachers in it. The reason I don't sub for more is because this is the biggest district in the area, and most of the other districts (except 1) that are within a 30 min. driving distance only have 3-5 schools in the entire district. I subbed in one of them when I first got out of college and I hardly ever got called, so I didn't even bother to sign up to sub in them.
WIBadgerFan is online now   Reply With Quote

Phaedrus

Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, depends on your district. I sub in only one; but, that's because I wouldn't want to work every day. (I never realized how tiring this job would be.) If I work about two days a week, I'm happy as a clam, anyway.

I would say if you're just starting out, you might want more than one. Those first few months I've been doing this is slow going, as the teachers have to get to know you. (I'm now starting to get teachers who request me. Actually, it's their students who tell the teachers to have me come back.) This first year, I figure, is all about making those connections. Next year, it should be a different story. (Another reason I only do one district is because I want to be available for those teachers who want me...and, if I stretch myself too thin, I'll just be the sub who's never available when they need me.)
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote

michigansub

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm registered for 7! I mainly sub in 1, but there are very few jobs that post around here. Most of the jobs I get are because teachers request me at a particular elementary - some of the schools I am registered for I have never seen a job posted at all. Right now I'm waiting for a job for tomorrow and nothing is posting in any of the districts at all!
michigansub is offline   Reply With Quote
momandsub

momandsub

I sub in 3
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

districts. One is a very large public school district where I get the majority of my jobs. The second is a small public school district, and third is about six parochial schools. I really don't do much of anything with the parochial schools because I am pretty well booked with the public schools and the parochial are always those 5:30 am calls.

Library Linda

Also in 3
Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also sub in 3, but mostly get called to 1, a smaller one.
Library Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

TXlady

Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I only sub in 1 district, but its a huge district with at least 70 or more elementary districts. However I really only sub for 2 schools where I got put on the preferred sub list. Its really nice cause both elementary school are only about 5-10 minutes from my house.
TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Wow...70 elementary schools?! That's gigantic!

I wish the districts within 10 minutes of me (especially the one I live in!) were hiring! Oh, well!
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm technically on the list in something like 8 districts. However, I do about 95% of my subbing in one (a large city district...IDK how many schools, maybe over 100 total).

The other 7 use a common Subfinder system, so signing up for all of them is as easy as checking a box on a form. So far this year I've done one day in one district, 2 in another, and the rest in my main district. I've worked more in those districts in the past, but there are a couple of them that I've never even been to. Plus, my main district pays better and offers insurance if you work 70 days/school year, so it's always my first choice!
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynette12

Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Six, but usually only sub in three of them.

Lynette12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Eric710

Eric710

Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm signed up with 14 districts, but I've only been to 11 of them.

Lynne94

I sub in 3 districts...
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I primarily sub in a small Catholic school - grade school to high school. I'm the #2 sub on the list - so I get called at least 1-2 days per week. I also sub in a small school district with 1 MS & 1 HS- usually 1-2 days per week. I get calls for both those districts. Then I'm also signed up for the city schools that use Aesop - so I just pick up a day there occasionally if the other schools are slow. It works well for me b/c I'm happy working just 3 days per week in schools I like . Good Luck!
Lynne94 is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was signed up for more, but was cancelled at some for not subbing there. I'm not happy about that because I got cancelled by the district I went to for my entire childhood till I graduated at 18. I subbed there last year, but this year every time I tried to get a job, someone else would snatch it. So, the sub service, cancelled me for that district and a few others. They were the really high prestige districts. Luckily, I still have quite a few nice districts to pick from. 4 districts are in nice areas and the other 3 are the districts I sub for when I am out of other options.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

michigansub

Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Stella - I had that district problem, too - I kept not being able to get a job because people kept taking them. I e-mailed Aesop and they made a note on my account and didn't cancel me out of the district - it might be too late for that now but you can remember that for next year!

StellatheSub

Michigan Sub
Old 02-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you for the tip and I will definitely remember that for next year!

WincSub

Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I sub in two...though I've only been to one. (I just joined the second last week.) I won't be taking on any more jut because of distance. Right now the closest school to my house is 30 mins away.
WincSub is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

I live....
Old 02-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

in the inner city, but I will drive 45 min. to get to a sub job at a rural district. It's totally worth it to me. The classes they tell me are the worst at these places, are always nothing compared to what I have to deal with in my own neighborhood. The only school I will take a job for in the city at the drop of the hat is the elementary school across the street from my house. Those kids are my neighbors and it is worth it to be able to walk to work.

broomrider

One
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In Nevada, each district is a county and we've got big counties. I live near the border with another county, but haven't needed to sign up there, yet.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

michigansub

Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

broomrider - I am moving to Nevada soon - just wondering how easily you're able to get jobs? Are there too many subs (like there are in Michigan), or does it seem pretty easy to fill a week?

2strike

Only One
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

It is a medium sized district ... 3 High Schools and the supporting schools, in Michigan. I am able to work every day.

I have to be logged in on Aesop whenever I am home, but the Check4Change feature on Firefox lets me know when a job posts. I still have to accept the job quickly. They are usually gone in less than a minute. Most of my jobs are booked several days in advance.
2strike is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra

One
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

and some times I would like to be with more. I really want to get a full time job with this District and want to get well known. I was mainly subbing in 4 schools, one of them being a middle school. Now I have mainly been subbing in 3 elementary schools which is the age group I really want to teach.
lamaestra is offline   Reply With Quote