Help

Substitute Teachers

1. Class attendance sheets-WWYD

>

MathRocks1028

1. Class attendance sheets-WWYD
Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

(since I have two things to post and this is the first...)

Class attendance.
The other day I was in a 2nd grade classroom and there was a homeroom attendance sheet, but the students then switched classes for math and then for reading. At the end of the day, some kids left with another teacher for RTii, I believe.

I had no clue who was in my class as no class list was to be found for these switched classes!
If this happened to you, what would you do? Contact one of the other 2nd grade teachers? Leave a note for the main teacher? (which the first is prob what I should have done, but I didn't have a clue that the kids switched classes)

After all that's been going on, you'd think the teacher would have lists.

MathRocks1028 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mom4boyz

Leave the Teacher a Note
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Probably the only attendance record that counts is the homeroom one. I would definitely have left the teacher a note - that information should be in the substitute folder! Probably would be good to mention it to the other teachers too.
Mom4boyz is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I usually don't worry about attendance for switched classes. Their teacher supervises them in the hall as they switch, and I am aware of who I let go to the bathroom. Their teacher took attendance for the day, so it's all good. The main time attendance and class count is important is say when you're picking kids up from recess. They're out of the building and you need to know that you are recollecting all of the students and that they're safe. Do you own homeroom attendance for AM, PM, and after recess, and you're good.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Kids'n'Cats

Multiple Times
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have ran into this problem multiple times at many different schools. I feel so inadequate and almost guilty when the office calls and asks for a student who happens to be in another room for a group and I have to admit that I do not know where that student is.

A few times another teacher has noticed I don't have lists and will make me a copy. If I do have a list left from the teacher it is usually just a list of who is going to be in my group, not where my homeroom kids are. Half the times the kids who go to SPED or Title are not mentioned in lesson plans. It does get frustrating. I have mentioned this to teachers in the past, but the next time I go, the lists still aren't there. To be teaching in today's world, I would think that this would be a major safety issue.
Kids'n'Cats is offline   Reply With Quote

MathRocks1028

Major safety issue, I agree!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just wanted the list of students who were supposed to be in the room at the appropriate times. I did check my homeroom group and counted when we transitioned to lunch and art and at the end of the day, but the times in between... hm.

If they tossed in a drill that day, I'd be scee-rewed!

MathRocks1028 is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The thing is, if you had a drill, the two classes would probably head out together, and all you would need is a class roster for the homeroom group. Whenever I have had switched classes, they were very close next door. You're right, though, it would be best to have a roster for the class you have taken over. Never can be too safe in this day and age of craziness!
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I once had a teacher complain because I did not list the attendance for the second class. They did attendance online and it seemed easy enough for her to check who was out the previous day. I have had elementary school where they switch several times during a day. It takes a lot of time especially if you don't have accurate seating charts.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

Attendance List
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it varies...

Most elementary/primary schools around here only turn in attendance for homeroom every day (on computer). My school requires teachers to take attendance each time that they switch classes (3-5 and PE), but they do not have to turn in attendance. Those records are kept in the grade book.

I would either look to see if some form of class list was available in the room, check with the team teachers or go to the office and ask for one--I have done all of these. If all else fails, just make a list of the students that you do have. That way, you have record of who was present during that class period.

I want the class list for fire drills or any other drills. Once last school year, I had to go to the office and ask for a copy of the class list (the teacher left right after school began due to a family emergency and forgot to leave me her list). When the secretary handed it to me, she asked me about why I wanted it. I told her "just in-case of an emergency". An hour later, we had a fire drill. I was glad I went to the office and ask for it.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

classmom75

i had that too
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

some teachers had an attendence sheet for each class and some only had homeroom.. i just followed what was left for me..
classmom75 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsBridget

OOOO - big time safety issue
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I haven't been on the board for a few weeks, this response is a bit delayed...

Frustration for attendance purposes is one thing, and fire drills are another; what about an actual emergency situation?

We do life in a very crazy, weapons and violence laden society... if something happened that placed anyone at that school in danger, YOU are responsible for the students that are supposed to be in your classroom. Maybe I am a little paranoid, but I even get nervous letting students go to a locker, restroom, etc...without having them write their name and the time on a sign out sheet - I can't possibly remember everyone's name as I am in about 15 different schools, over 5 districts (k-12).

It would be just my luck that I let a kid run to their locker in another wing, a herd of buffalo suddenly stampedes that wing of the school, tumbling walls, breaking gas lines, starting an inferno, and I can't tell emergency workers who/how many they should be looking for in the smoke, rubble and carnage... yes, other students might be helpful, but they just may be too distracted by the scent of barbequed tatonka...

All joking aside, the very first thing I do when I arrive in a classroom is locate the class rosters (and hopefully seating charts) and if they are not in the room, I march straight down to the office and ask for a current roster for all classes for which I will be held responsible.

(we don't actually have buffalo in my little corner of the country, but you get my gist! )

MsBridget is offline   Reply With Quote